Black sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hydrolite

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just moved my 65g fish and coral tank and need to replace my sand. I was thinking about going with black sand. Any issues or differences I should know about?

I have blaack sand in my 125 gallon reef
Looks good and makes corals pop but it gets attached to the mag float and my veggie clip since it magnetic causing a feww scratches in my tank :\

ForumRunner_20130101_221404.jpg

It might not be iron... But either way if it is the same sand that I've seen on dfs, I would say that it is fine. I say this because if I remember my science correctly, the black sand beaches are formed from beat up volcanic rock rather than crushed up coral. Due to it being volcanic rock, this would of course have many types of different metals within it, giving it slightly magnetic properties, but being on such a small scale that it wouldn't cause an issue within the aquarium's closed system. I look at it as we sometimes add more metal into our system from water if we run tap than would come in from this sand. Along with this, there are many successful reef builds out there with black sand. If it was unhealthy, they would never be able to flourish like they do. If there are concerns there is no reason simple carbon filtration wouldn't remove the issue.

What's the difference if I use live sand vs dry sand at this point? My tank has been established for a few years and I want to switch to black sand. The tank is up and running right now with no sand bed. I discarded my white sand when I moved the tank. It's 65 gallons with about 65 lbs of live rock with fish and corals.

What's the difference if I use live sand vs dry sand at this point? My tank has been established for a few years and I want to switch to black sand. The tank is up and running right now with no sand bed. I discarded my white sand when I moved the tank. It's 65 gallons with about 65 lbs of live rock with fish and corals.

Live sand if it contains a lot of die off can cuase a large ammonia spike so dry sand is the safest option. It only takes a few cups of live sand from an established tank to seed.

image-2065181634.jpg
Went with both, black aragonite live sand on bottom, then a layer of dry black sand on top because it looked much better. The live black sand looked too much like dirt. I washed the dry black sand really good before putting it in the tank. I have everything set up now, and the black sand on top is definitely magnetic, i can see it attract to my mag float when i bring it close. I already have a couple scratches on my tank as well. Will just have to be careful in the future, but I love the new look with black sand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom