Black Skirt Tetra Dying??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

One of my Black Skirt Tetras is acting strange.....
I went about my normal schedule the other day, and after the afternoon feeding, I turned out the light. Everyone was acting fine and normal. I went back to check on the fish a few hours later (about 9pm), and he was laying on the bottom of the tank, couldn't swim, and was having a hard time breathing.:eek:
I thought I would wait it out because they're was nothing I could really do.... It is now 2 days later and nothing has changed.....:nono::(
BACKGROUND INFO
This tetra is about 4 1/2 years old. I received him, 3 of his buddies, and the tank about 2-3 months ago. When I got him, I noticed he was swimming very funny and uncoordinated. He also had a bloated stomach. I asked his previous owner if he always did this and she said when she bought him 4 years ago, he was already like that. He was eating normally and could get anywhere he wanted to go, so I just assumed he was born with a health condition.

He is currently in a 20gH with 1 Molly, 2 Platies, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, and another Black Skirt Tetra (more tetras on the way!).
I don't know why he suddenly can't swim, but can anyone out there help me out? I don't want this little guy to die!!
I've also attached a picture in case anyone needs it. (Sorry it's so blurry:oops:)
I'm SOOO sorry for all the babbling, but Thank You for all and any help!!!:thanks:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 120
Well, the lifespan of a black or white skirt tetra is about five years with GOOD care. I'd say this fella was pretty well cared for and is probably just very old and is passing away if the other fish are not showing any symptoms.

:( I had to go on a surprise trip yesterday, and when I returned tonight, his eyes were glazed over and he was dead...... He put up a good fight:bawl:
SIP Nameless

Back
Top Bottom