Black skirt tetra hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mve1004

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About 3 months ago I started a second tank (30) gallon I put 3 black skirt tetras in there . About a week ago I noticed 1 of them is now hiding all the time in the plants. I read up on these fish and found out you should probably have minimum of 5 or 6 . Today I got 3 more and the one that was hiding came out and was actually socializing with the other 5 . That didn't last long the fish went back to hiding and did not eat when I fed them. Can anyone tell me if they had this happen before .

Im not sure. I almost sounds like a sickness. However I am interested to hear the answers you get because all of my brothers neon tetras hide...constantly.

Well i think it Is probably stressed. Have you been doing water changes and what are your levels?

I do a 5% water change weekly .I do not know the exact levels but I do know when I brought a water sample to the local pet store and all there readings were normal.

Okay do you not have a test kit? Many people on here reccomend getting the api master test kit, it really helps. The black skirts are the only fish in te tank right?

In every school that i have ever had there has been one wierd fish. I have 10 glowlight tetras and there is one that is always hiding... Its wierd

My other tank has a school of tiger barbs and there is one that would swim on it's own for a while but now it's of equal size with the others and it stays in the school. Maybe this is the same with the tetras

Ya i think its the same with most schooling fish. I think the tetra will get used to the other fish and startto school more

I have one black skirt that hides out in my amazon swords in the back of my tank. the others school around, it joins in sometimes. I have learned to accept it but i was once worried too. It has been doing this for 1 year now so I have ruled out illness.

Back
Top Bottom