Black Skirt Tetras or Zebra Danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Pretty much since all I've been talking about lately to my friends is my fish tank, my one buddy bowed to the pressure and got himself a 40 gallon tank.

I let him borrow the artificial driftwood out of my tank for cycling, and I've been going over to his place everyday to test his water for him (Doesn't get paid til the end of each month).

Anyways, we've been talking about his fish stocking plan and going to different LFS' around town to look at fish. He's really digging both the zebra danios and the black skirt tetras, but he doesn't want the 'zoo' effect of having 5 different types of fish in there, so he wants a species only tank.

Anyways, since I don't have first hand experience with either of these fish (black skirt tetra / zebra danio), I was wondering which one is hardier?

As well- since we want to go today and get fish (for my tank as well)- which one of these fish would go well with my tank? I'm thinking the tetras would be a better fit, as my swordtail is getting slightly bigger.

IME the tetras are hardier than the danios and would be a great starting point for a species only tank for your friend. Really though they are both pretty decent and should fair well

For you I would suggest the danios. Black skirts are known to be fin nippers and that nice exaggerated tail may become a target. If all you have is females it may work but personally Id stick on the safe side and go with the danios.

I'd go with the tetras they are very hardy. I cycled a tank with some and only did one pwc a week and none died. As long as they are in a large school thy shouldn't nip.

I keep both of these fish together and personally like the danios more because of their activity levels. The tetras are very cool and school and all but all they would do is stay in a large school. Zebra danios will go all over the tank and chase each other and play. Also long fin zebra danios are nicer looking than plain danios

I would go with the tetras. I think danios are just a really boring fish.

Well, according to my signature I got the danios.

AqAdivisor says I can fit a school of 5 of the tetras in there, but I don't know if I should.... (very tempting)

Black skirt tetras are fine for a species only or semi-aggressive "community", but I wouldn't mix them in with guppies or swordtails. They get very nippy as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom