Black spots on my java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys,

just had a quick question that hopefully you guys can help me with.

i've recently installed a small 8w T5 hood light for my small 8 litre FW planted and the plants seemed to be doing well all except for my java ferns. my ferns have started to show small black spots on their leaves. looks algae-like but i'm not sure what the cause is. searching a bit i'ev seen posts talking about high light and low Co2?

i don't have a Co2 (yet) for them and the tank only has 4 guppies, a bristlenose and a snail so could this be right?

i'll take pictures and post them as soon as possible.

any help would be great. it's not THAT bad, but it's starting to make them look unsightly.

Sometimes people have trouble with java ferns because they burry the rhizoids (root like structures) rhizoids pull nutrients from the water. So it's best not to burry the "roots"

U may already know this, just see it as a common problem. If its black algae then u have something else entirely.

Good luck! :)

The black spots might be from accimilation. The old leaves will turn like that with new light changes. New growth should come out normal. A picture will help define the problem better.

My Java Ferns I bought about a week ago have developed the same thing. Little black spots on their leaves. I do have them planted in the gravel substrate. Will this contribute to the black spots? I plan to attach them to driftwood later today.

If the rhizome is buried, pull it up or it might not make it to the driftwood--I don't know how fast they decline planted. You can float them until you're ready to attach.

Just attached the rhizomes to the driftwood. I'll post a picture to show you guys what it looks like.

thanks for your replies!

the spots don't rub off when I run my fingers along them, and the ferns are half in the substrate but mostly out of it. it does look like the 'older' leaves that it appears on so I'm hoping it's just pruning required.

pics attached! thank you!

Attachments

• image-3088594692.jpg
    image-3088594692.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 289
  • image-1599659688.jpg
    image-1599659688.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 206
Here's the new setup I have with the Java Ferns.

Attachments

• DSC_0733.jpg
    DSC_0733.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0735.jpg
    DSC_0735.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0736.jpg
    DSC_0736.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 179
  • DSC_0738.jpg
    DSC_0738.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 144
My advice would be to take it out of the gravel and attach it to a rock or driftwood. Also many java ferns don't like intense, direct light. So if there is a shaded area in your tank put it there. If this doesn't work then it's probably a nutrient/lighting/c02 issue and I can't really help you there.

yeah i think I'll have to do what Wiseguy has done I imagine and attach them to my driftwood, and prune the older leaves (laziness on my part)

themox said:
yeah i think I'll have to do what Wiseguy has done I imagine and attach them to my driftwood, and prune the older leaves (laziness on my part)

apologies for the double post, but can they grow well with a single stem/shoot or should they be bunched? or is it personal preference?

I usually leave at least a few leaves per stem if splitting them up. It looks more natural than a single leaf and you will have baby ferns growing off the leaves in no time.

I bought a small java fern (10 leaves) a couple months ago and it has a couple of plantlets on every leaf

No, it doesn't. People talk about driftwood because it's easy to attach it to, but you can tie it to a rock or stick it in a crevice, or tie it to a fake decoration. I have three java fern plants on driftwood, one shoved into a crevice in the rock cave I made where the silicone gapped. I've had my java fern for about a month and a number of them are showing plantlet roots.

Ok cool, just needed some clarification (very new to the hobby). Currently I have mine attached to some decoration piece of driftwood. In the future i'm hoping to get some cool pieces of real driftwood for my 55 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom