Blackout and CO2 cylinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
I may have to do a blackout to control my cyano and possibly hair algae. I have never done a blackout with the CO2 cylinder hooked up. Can I just unplug it (unplug the solenoid), or would it be better to turn the master valve (on top of the cylinder) off completely?

Cut the CO2 during the blackout. Your plants can only utilize it during a bright photoperiod.

Here is my blackout protocol:

1] Immediately before the blackout do a 50% water change

2] Add some airstones or powerheads to the tank if possible, but by all means maintain standard filtration

3] Cover the tank so that no light can enter

4] Turn off your heaters so that mean water temp stays below 77F

5] Do not feed, fertilize, or inject CO2 for the duration of the blackout

6] Don't peek

7] 3-5 days later uncover it and enjoy feeding your starving fish and plants that have no algea

8] As soon as you uncover the tank, do a 50-75% water change to remove the dead algae

I'd also pull the CO2 line out of the aquarium to prevent a siphon from pulling water out and into the regulator, which would ruin it.

of course if you have a brass check valve installed, that won't happen. if its a plastic check valve...don't trust it...pull the airline during the blackout.

Thanks, everyone...I didn't even think about the check valve. It is plastic - I did get a Clippard one but it's too "tight" and during an underwater test, it forced CO2 out around the screw-on end pieces. I have to call the dealer again. I have seen water in my plastic check valves that were attached to a regular airline, so I know plastic can't be trusted completely.

Back
Top Bottom