Bleaching tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seasidelover102

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so I have a 5.5 gallon tank that used to have two guppies in it until it contracted tb, and I've torn down the tank and bleached it. I plan to maybe bleach it again for good measure and let it sit for at least a month or two (can't be too careful right?). Anyways, I wanted to try a betta this time and was wondering if I could keep one or two nerite snails in with it?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So sorry to hear about the guppies & TB!

If you don't want to wait ... I've had repeated success wiping the insides of the tank with straight bleach on a rag, running bleach through the filter, soaking the decor ... Then I rinse it all a lot, and repeat the process with dechlorinator in place of the bleach. Teeny bottles of plain dechlorinator (not Prime or anything fancy) are cheap and effective. Bleach is highly unstable and will be gone quickly.

But to your main question ... I've had more success with nerites than other snails, with Bettas. They're well protected. Mystery snails are more "out" of their shell and get bitten. But I'd only do one, because if you get two and they lay eggs ... While the eggs won't hatch they are ugly.

Good luck! And maybe try some plants!

Bleach will instantly kill anything it touches, unless its one of those super crazy microbes.. As for using pure bleach in a fish tank, ive done it many time but letting it sit is bad.. Bleach deteriorates the silicone seals thats why you dont use just 100% bleach you mix it with water, and letting the tank sit for months is just going to mess with the seals even more. Im sure itll be fine just giving you a heads up with bleach and silicone seals

Bleaching to kill TB has been proven worthless long ago.
Pool shock(much stronger chlorine) is the preferred method of "sterilization" now.

You also want to disinfect anything and everything that has come in contact with the water of the infected fish. Use Calcium Hypochlorite, found in pool stores to disinfect. Not even bleach or acid will kill this bacteria, so Calcium Hypochlorite is a MUST. Use it on the entire tank, the filters (let the filter run like normal for a day while using), nets, the surface around the tank, buckets, syphons, decorations, isolation tanks, and anything else that has been in contact with the water of the infected fish. This is an absolute must or the disease will reappear if you get new fish.

Honestly if you are certain you fish had microbacterium
marinum,I would be inclined not to use any of the equipment or tank again.
I can't accurately speak to how the sterilizing would/could effect the silicone .
Sorry this all turned into a TB answer and not about your future betta.

I must have a form of TB or columnaris in 2 of my tanks as i can never keep Platies , they eventually lose their fins and mouths and die within a few days of showing those symptoms.. They die in droves in my moms 30g.. Its one reason why we converted that tank to a african chiclid tank.. No other fish gets it and gets sick except live bearers.. its one reason i dont like those fish.. I can keep discus but not stupid platies.

Bleach will instantly kill anything it touches, unless its one of those super crazy microbes.. As for using pure bleach in a fish tank, ive done it many time but letting it sit is bad.. Bleach deteriorates the silicone seals thats why you dont use just 100% bleach you mix it with water, and letting the tank sit for months is just going to mess with the seals even more. Im sure itll be fine just giving you a heads up with bleach and silicone seals

Umm. Cockroaches can survive nukes but not bleach? If so then why are we living within 50 miles of that stuff ???

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I don't know but doesn't this bacteria need to be in water in order to survive?
How about just leaving the tank to dry in the sun for a few days?
Anything else that gets water from that tank will also have to be cleaned and air dry, filter, plants, gravel etc.

Yes, I've determined what I need to clean and what I just need to throw out. Everything is bleached, rinsed, sat in the sun for a few hours, rinsed in very hot water again, sat in the sun, rinsed, dried, and wiped down one more time, not to mention sitting for at least a month before setting it up again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom