Bleeding heart tetras - stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 3 of them a few months ago and they have outgrown all my other tetra in the tank and look like porkchops! I figure since they look just like a serpae they would be the size of a serpae. WRONG! LOL

Their growth rate is amazing. They were the size of my serpae when I bought them and in just a few months they are 3x their size. They are beautiful though.

I am tempted in my 75gl that I plan to buy for my bottom dwelling fourline pictus cats and pleco to do a nice large school of bleeding hearts. I only have three in my various tetra school but this fish is growing on me!!!

They are a nice sized tetra though and should stand up well in my 75gl with my fourlines. They (fourlines) so far have been very calm with the other fish. Pranzer the largest fourline pictus the other day came out and I got to measure him at 5" with out tail. He is growing to be a big boy.

My spotted pictus in the tank (4 of them) love to fight and be terrors amongst themselves. My fourlines never fight and are very welcoming of all the other fish. Pranzer always had the wrecked ship as a home and had no issues with the pleco coming in there. Recently adding my sisters 2 spotted pictus they moved in the ship with Pranzer and he didnt mind at all. In fact one of the spotted pictus lays next to him and he doesnt mind a bit. They are so calm unlike the spotted pictus. lol

They are still predators though and who knows what they will eat as they grow. So far all my various tetra in the tank have been fine. *crossing fingers*

The 75gl will also house 5 clown loaches for a few years until they get their 125gl.

I like the glass tetra I have but they are pretty small as well as the serpae. I dont want to add these types to my 75gl. The whiteskirts are good sized but just not like the bleeding heart tetras.

I was thinking of a pretty good sized school of bleeding hearts in the 75gl and would like another good sized tetra to add some color.

Any ideas? Maybe another type of fish?

I refuse to put a really small baby in the tank as my pictus would for sure eat them. I always make sure the fish I add at least have a chance in the tank and so far so good. I have the LFS pick out the largest in the tank for me with any tetra I get LOL

When I move the big fourlines to the 75gl though I will have the option of using the 55gl to grow the bleeding hearts a few months before I put them in the 75gl though.

I know there is nothing saying they wont become supper but so far my fourlines have been very good!

TETRAS!!!!

I love the Tetra Fish. The great thing about them is the schooling, watching the shiny colors zip around the tank! My favorite tetra is the Black Phantom.

Back
Top Bottom