Blenny dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My striped fang blenny died today. He was captive bred and living happily. My parameters are perfect. Please give me any ideas on why he died. Thank you

I guess no one can really help me with this b/c I have no hints or things to figure it out with....sorry to waste your time.

Yah i just had the same problem actually...had a powder blue tang in quarantine for about two weeks. He was eating and very social. I check on all the fish every morning, checked the one morning before school and he was fine..got home around 6 and he was dead. All readings of the quarantine were perfect no clue what happened :(

Sorry for your loss, everything else in the tank still doing well?

Yes. I have been having problems like this a lot throughout the setup of my tank and I think I might just give it up altogether.

Don't give up! It's such a rewarding hobby when things are going good...everybody hits the odd speedbump. Just try some hardier fish to begin with until you've been in the hobby for awhile. The striped fang blenny is not the easiest to care for. Try a midas blenny, they are easier to care for and a beautiful fish.

Maybe its the salt in the tank. What do you test it with? Too much of a change in salinity can shock/kill fish.

Thank you. I had done a big water change two days earlier and perhaps that was the culprit. What do you know About the hardiness of a sixline wrass? Perhaps I'll try one of them....

You really should go to the User CP and complete a tank profile so we know about your tank.

Your initial post tells us nothing about how big the tank is, or how long the tank has been setup, what other inhabitants are in it and worse of all you stated that your water parameters are perfect! Well, what are they (post real numbers from quality liquid or digital test kits) please.
How long have you had this fish?
Did you QT it, and if so for how long? How long ago?
What do you feed, and how often?
What is the tank filtration and biological filtration?
How big was the water change that you did?
Did you match temp, SG, etc. before changing the water?
How did you do the water change?

The end result may still be MFD (mysterious fish death/disappearance), but at least we may be able to rule out other possibilities.

They were in the tank 50 days. I didn't quarantine b/c they were in the same tank at the lfs (my two sebaes and the blenny). I fed frozen mysis and flakes that my lfs suggested, no ammonia or nitrite to speak of and like 5 for nitrate. I thought I had done all the tank info stuff. I will have to go back and do that tonight.

Temp and sg were close to same. I removed the water with a siphon and then poured the new water in with a bucket

Thanks for the links. I hope they'll be able to help me avoid stuff like this in the future. Wait. Aquacon? I though they were unreliable?

unreliable to order from? Or for info? I like to read both, mostly both sites have the same info but sometimes one will have a bit more than the other. Also sometimes one site doesn't have the particular fish I'm trying to find but the other does. If you want to find more info about the fish just try googleing it followed by care. (sixline wrasse care) Something like that, usually pretty easy to find tons of info.

Oh. I didn't realize that aquacon was good for info! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom