Blind Silver Molly- Update: She died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. i was at Petco earlier, and I spotted a silver molly that's missing a left eye. It doesnt appear to see too well in the right eye. No reaction when I waved my hand infront of it outside the glass. It obviously senses water movement because he did swim from the net.

Well, I got it for free. the petshop would only kill it anyway.

Temporarily, he's in a 5 gal until I can get my 30 gal set up and running. I havent gotten the tank yet, I am planning this weekend to get it. But any reason I cant get the 30 gal any time too soon (not this weekend or next) would it be alright in a 5 gal long term by itself for awhile? the tank is heated and filtered.

I dont have pictures yet, poor thing missing an eye. Soon, if requested, I'll put pics up of the poor thing.

Is your 5 gal cycled?If not do regular water changes and he should be fine, keep an eye on him with eating and make sure he does eat.

I just did a deep cleaning on it since I had a few bettas in it. I boiled hot water and cleaned it 100%. I know bettas can be very messy. I clean my betta tanks every other day, and Im planning on doing 20-50% water changes for the 5 gal every other day as well until I feel its fully cycled.

thanks, it was on impulse to save the little guy's life, especially when I really didnt have the tank for it! lol.

Kudo's to you for saving the little guy. Don't change the filter media out from the betta tank and the substrate either. That will assist in making less of a cycle.

I just rinsed out the filter, didnt change or clean it 100%. probably about 50%. I have "Cycle" that I got for my SW aquarium.. can I use that to help it or no?

Cycle won't help IMO, at least not by any measurable amount. The filter and substrate should do the trick with regular water changes. Just test the water every couple of days to be sure.

ok, thank you :) I just need alittle confidence because I suddenly felt guilty that I made the wrong move to try to save the guy if I wind up killing him myself for a stupid impulse error

molly1.gif

there's the little guy, with no eye. he has a right eye, but again, I dont think he can see well out of it at all.

That's a pretty fish, although I think it might be a she. LOL. No it is a good thing, he would have faced certain death at the lfs.

Not totally positive from the pic but the females have more fan shaped anal fin than the males. This link shows pics about halfway down the page.

I was given a jewel cichlid from petco a while back who was missing his left eye as well. He we doing well for the first week then as the 2nd week rolled around he went belly-up. My guess was a infection his eye was growing some kind of a white goo on it.
May want to be careful of a infection.

Yeah, quite sure your little "guy" is actually a little gal.
Just make sure to keep on the water changes and you should get a FW master test kit, if you don't have one already.

well, 'she' was doing fine, then I went out to my friend's for new years. When I got back, she was dead. She had horrid red spots on her, I thought it might've been blood, but there's no visible wounds, just red spots. Her gill areas were intense pink and red. She's dead. I should've taken a pic before flushing her, but Im hoping you guys would know.

Any idea what might've caused this sudden death? I tested the water this morning, and even after death, and all showed normal readings. Its been about 24 hours since I had her and in the tank.

I would like opinions as to why she would suddenly die like this, so next time I would not make the same mistakes. I am upset she died because I was hoping I'd "save" her from being killed from Petco, and I wind up killing her anyway :(

My guess is that I did a 100% cleaning of that tank when I should not have. I should've at least left the rocks unclean for the benificial bacteria or something.

It is possible that you destroyed the exsisting bacteria, did you show any ammonia on your test at all? It sounds like ammonia poisioning but if your parameters were 0 then it may have been a condition from the lfs. So sorry to hear about the molly. :cry:

no ammonia, all were good on the testings, before and after. :( maybe it was from the lfs

Back
Top Bottom