Bloated angelfish, constipated possibly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidl340

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a mature angelfish that is about 3 years old. Very beautiful fish in a 39 gallon tank with a 2 cichlids, and a couple smaller fish. Tank is well taken care of, well filtered, fish are well fed with Wardley fish flakes.

My angel's stomach is bloated and he is not eating for the last 4 or 5 days. I feed them a lot. I assumed that he is constipated. I tried a 1 1/2 tablespoons of Epson salt in a seperate 2 gallon bucket, but after 24 hours, there are no droppings at all. I placed the fish back in the main tank and he is looking not so good. He is starting to lay on the bottom of the tank, or float on the top of the tank. When he is disturbed, he'll right himself for a while and look fine, but after several minutes, he'll get back to laying flat again.

I just pulled him out again and put some Jungle fungus and bacteria eliminator in the bucket (all I had around tonight). What else can I try, and what products do I need to buy. If a concentrated Epsom salt bath didn't do it, is he not constipated? He won't eat anything now, so peas are out of the question.

I'd hate to loose this one, he's been such a character, my favorite fish. Thanks for the advice.

Hiya and welcome to Aquariumadvice davidl

Urgh. I feel for you; angelfish are my absolute fav. I'd keep him isolated; reduce the level of stress on him. Does the bucket have filtration/aeration and a heater? I'd suggest them if it doesn't.

He's either still constipated or is suffering from dropsy. If its dropsy, the meds may or may not help. I believe Fungus Eliminator contains Furazolidone, which might be effective. Problem is, dropsy isn't a disease in and of itself, but a sign of internal organ failure caused by other disease.

I also suspect an intestinal blockage, especially since he hasn't pooed. You may want to try another round of Epsom salt in a bath; it may also help reduce the fluid buildup if its dropsy.

I'll do that, in fact, I just added some Epson salt, about 1 1/2 tablespoon to 3 gallons or so. Fish is hanging in. I do have a bubble stone, temperature seems OK, I change the water out before it gets too bad. Thanks for the advice

David

Back
Top Bottom