Bloated betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlakRiot

Aquarium Advice Regular
Specs::
>Tank < 10 gallon
>Filter < Haagen aquaclear 30
>ammonia< 0
>nitrites < 0
>nitrates < 5
>cleaning< 30% water change twice weekly

[Many live plants, likes the nest of floating plants at the surface]

Feeding::
>live blackworms
>frozen mysis shrimp
>frozen blood worms
>freeze dried brine shrimp (this is what I feed more regularly)
>live detritus worms (she likes to pick at them sometimes)
>baby ghost shrimp (whenever my shrimp drop babies)
[Will not eat betta pellets no matter how hard I try and I'm aware her diet is somewhat high in fats]

PROMBLEM:: BLOATING
>no clamped fins
>relatively active
>gills and respiration seem fine
>color is vibrant
>no sores

Scuttlebutt, my betta, is roughly 4 -5 months old. I got her at about 1 1/2 to 2 months old and she had been bloated since a few days after I got her. It's quite terrifying. All of her sisters and one brother apparently have the same problem but are sustained off of a completely different diet, somehow she got them to eat pellets. She is bred from two kings one a veiltail and one a crowntail. I don't know if having a big belly is normal in young fish. She may have had a stunted growth early on. Her behavior is unchanging from the day I got her. Active until fed, then sits around for an hour or so then goes back to being active, by active I mean is swimming about and not just laying on plants.

I have tried reduced feedings and abstained feeding but her belly stays bloated. There is some shrinkage but not much. I don't even know if she is ill I just want to know if I should be worried. Is there anything I could try to reduce her bellysize?

>>>Pictures attatched<<
the one on the leaf is a few weeks old
1480069387298.jpg
Other one is today
1480069696069.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it possible for the beta to be over fed because I have betas and there stomach will bloat if TOP much food is given to them and betas do not know when to stop eating even when they are full so this could be a possible reason so u probably just got to reduce the food portion

Unfortunately I've tried reducing feeding and have even not fed my betta for almost 3 days before I gave up and started feeding again. Her belly did not go down much over those three days :(

Have you tried feeding a de shelled blanched pea? it should help her go if she's constipated and reduce the swelling.

I'll try that I hope I can get her to eat it

this seems like classic swim bladder to me. try some cooked pea, cut it up really small. also, make sure the tank is heated and at consistent temp. warm water will help their metabolism and function better(help digestion) bettas survive a long time without eating in the wild. i know you may feel cruel, but you can go without feedings for quite a while. until you see that swelling go down i would harshly limit the food intake. i see you're only feeding shrimp and worms, which sounds fancy, but from my experience a base diet of pellets is the most consistent and nutritional.
overall, heating, aiding digestion with pea, limited food and a base diet of pellets would be my recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom