Bloated black skirt tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chandeptitious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone! I have a black skirt tetra that is pretty fat. My question is: is it carrying eggs or do you think it's something else? It seems to be hanging around the back corner at the bottom of the tank and there's another tetra hanging around it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425879580.787591.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425879580.787591.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425879609.122928.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425879630.505897.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is very interesting. I had something similar happen to me, and to this day I haven't figured it out. A few questions:

1. has the fish ever been medicated?
2. have you medicated the tank recently?
3. have you tried epsom salt baths?
4. how old is the fish?

Given my experience I personally do not think it's eggs.

I only bought them mid January, so I haven't had them for long and have no idea how old they are. I haven't medicated them or the tank at all since I've had it. I was going to try Epsom salt baths but I'm not sure how to go about it, could you help me out?

I had this happen and I tried a few things and none of them worked. I tried gen cure and furan 2. The only thing that leaves in my mind is kanaplex, but if its organ failure as I suspected for my tetra that maybe wouldn't help either. The epsom seemed to help but I don't know if it did.

I would try kanaplex and epsom in a different tank. Personally though my fish got the same exact symptoms and he didn't make it despite treatment.
Some sort of bacterial infection is my only guess given my experience with this. Bloat maybe?

The good news is its not terribly contagious and was not for me.
The bad news is that for me it was fatal.

Thank you for your help. I haven't got any kanaplex, I've ordered it though. Awaiting arrival. I'll keep you updated.

Doing a salt bath, the fish is quite pale and doesn't seem to be able to swim up from the bottom of the tank much. When sitting on the bottom, it tends to lean to one side as if it can't stay upright.

After the salt bath the fish seemed more comfortable however it unfortunately passed away before the kanaplex arrived.. Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom