Bloated fish - spinning - possible swim bladder.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MachoFantastico

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I need some help with a shunbunkin goldfish of mine which I've had for a number of years now. Recently, and rather quickly I might add, he became bloated and the past day or so, as begun spinning having problems with staying upright. At first when he became bloated I was almost certain he had Dropsy, but the fact that he spins when he's swimming as me to believe that he might have swim bladder disease.

I have not fed him for a few days and today tried feeding him a pea, now I have attempted this in the past and I could never get him to eat peas. So would have to always remove them from then tank before causing any more problems to the water. Again he will not eat the pea, which I defrosted and took the skin off before feeding him half of it. So is there a good way to get my fish to eat the pea?

Lowered the water level by 25 percent and that as seemed to help his swimming a bit, but I need some advice on what might be the best options. It's clear I need him to eat peas to help with his issues if that is indeed the issue. I like to think I take good care of my fish (changing water, feeding, etc) but seeing it is rather distressing and hope a cure is possible, if not I don't know what options I have.

My tank holds 54 litres and I have running an Eheim aquaball 130 filter with oxygenator.

Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi and welcome to AA!!! A few questions to try & help you better! Are there any other fish in this tank? How big is the shubunkin? What do you normally feed? What is your water change schedule (%/#wk)? What are your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph? Look closely at your fish (top down)- do his scales look like they are sticking out (pinecone)? Is there any redness/streaking in his fins, tail, gills, body? The more information you can provide, the better we will be able to help you! :)

He is the only fish in the tank.

The Shunbunkin is fully grown, it's appearance is bloated and it's scales are sticking out (pinecone), don't see any red stricking or anything like it on his body or fins.

Water change every two to three weeks, and change filters every three months.

pH: 7.2
KH: 6
GH: 16
NO3: 25
NO2: 0

Think that's correct, never really understood the readings to well. There is certainly a difference, in the last test I did about a month or so ago the GH was lower I recall. Probably worth noting that I (did) drink our local tap water and recently it was awful, causing me sore throats and such, I treat the water of course but thought it was worth mentioning. I live in the Midlands, United Kingdom by the way.

At the moment he spends most time on his side or in weird positions (bent in odd ways) and looks dead sometimes, spending it all on the bottom of the tank. Got himself stuck to, something the fish as never done before.

To be frank he looks like he's on his last legs and watching him is quite distressing, I know this sounds terrible but if he is to die I hope it's sooner rather then later, hate seeing it in pain or discomfort, that said nature must take it's course.

I'm always worried when I come on here that I'll be judged as a bad owner :ermm: whereas I take care with the fish, family members think I'm to caring with them, fish are confusing. We had a fish years ago that lived for 10+ years and didn't have half the care I've given my Shunbukin.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information! Unfortunately, at this point, I would strongly recommend euthanasia to end his suffering. Even with heroic measures (injections of antibiotics, etc under an aquatic vets care), its likely that he will not be able to recover. Theres a sticky at the top of this section with euthanasia information. I am very sorry about your fish :(

At only 54l (14g), I would advise that you do not purchase anymore goldfish for this tank. Its realistically too small for even a single goldfish, especially a full grown shubunkin (which should be over a foot long). You have lots of options for fish that would be suitable for this tank size. If you would like some suggestions, dont hesitate to ask for help! Once again, I am very sorry.

Hmm I see, the idea of euthanasia had crossed my mind but when I read a little up on it some of the options were particularly pleasant, though I guess they never will be.

Juwel Korall 60 Tropical Aquarium This is the aquarium I have and was told that it was large enough when I had the fish, for even when he had grown, so surprised to hear it's to small, he's always appeared to have room to swim about and go back and forth.

Guess I'll read up on euthanasia, hopefully there's a more pleasant option then breaking it's neck or something. Will get back to you if needs be. Thanks for your help and advice.

Hmm I see, the idea of euthanasia had crossed my mind but when I read a little up on it some of the options were particularly pleasant, though I guess they never will be.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/juwel/juwel-korall-aquariums/juwel-korall-60-tropical-aquarium.html This is the aquarium I have and was told that it was large enough when I had the fish, for even when he had grown, so surprised to hear it's to small, he's always appeared to have room to swim about and go back and forth.

Guess I'll read up on euthanasia, hopefully there's a more pleasant option then breaking it's neck or something. Will get back to you if needs be. Thanks for your help and advice.

Hmm I see, the idea of euthanasia had crossed my mind but when I read a little up on it some of the options weren't particularly pleasant, though I guess they never will be.

Juwel Korall 60 Tropical Aquarium This is the aquarium I have and was told that it was large enough when I had the fish, for even when he had grown, so surprised to hear it's to small, he's always appeared to have room to swim about and go back and forth.

Having read up on Euthanasia it's rather worrying, not quite sure what would be the best option, would welcome some tips and advice. The idea as crossed my mind but I don't know, the idea of actually doing it scares the pants of me. Not sure why, it's just a fish afterall.

Surprised to hear the tank wouldn't suit shunbunkins, was told when I bought the fish that it would be suitable for the fish and for when he grew. This is the tank I have Juwel Korall 60 Tropical Aquarium

Will get back once something happens...

A 60l tank is only 15g. Shubunkins are realistically pond fish that grow over a foot long & need ample amounts of water to prevent stunting & health issues. 55g (225l) is the bare minimum to keep a single one & this would eventually have to be upgraded as well. I would not place much faith in the advice your lfs is offering you- do your own research in order to make informed decisions in respect to the fish your considering.

Clove oil, Finquel (MS-222) or blunt force trauma are your best options for goldfish euthanasia although I could not personally handle the blunt force trauma method. A vet would be able to offer other options.

Fish (other name Ernie) as died.

We used the clove oil technique and thankfully worked, hopefully it was painless for him.

I'll admit I wasn't sure what to do, even after you recommended euthanasia to me, just wasn't sure I could do that. But seeing him made it an easy decision, he didn't deserve to stay in pain.

Wanted to thank you for your help jlk, all this came on so rapidly that I still had some hope it was curable, basically only started Thursday night. You wouldn't think a fish could worry you so much :(

Again, thanks for the help jlk.
Much appreciated.

I am sorry about your fish :( He is out of pain now. If you have any questions now or in the future, please do not hesitate to ask! Everyone is here to help! :)

Back
Top Bottom