Bloated looking fish, white tips on fins, more (pictures inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT1FirebirdSLP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 28 gallon bowfront, maintained for about 6 - 9 months now. Fully cycled. 10 Black Phantom Tetras, 7 Zebra Danios, One 4" pleco (he grew a bit since i got him), 2 snails 1 med 1 tiny, 3 small catfish (lessthan 1") Water values are as follows

pH 7.0
Temp 74-76 F
Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia = 0

Started seeing white edges on most of my black phantom tetras fins, catfish and snails are ok, one of my tetras is fat, like it looks pregnant and has a singular white dot on her left eye (i was told BP tetras that have any red are female) some of the other tetras have white on the tips of their fins. It got worse so i knew this wasnt normal.

I went out and bought FungusCure from API (3mg Victoria Green and 3mg Acriflavine packets) did the whole treatment by the book on the box.

Fish still have white tips on fins and one of the tetras looks considerable fatter (width) than the others. Fish are eating well.

IMG_0748.JPG

The top one is the fat one. You can see white tips on the bottom one too.
IMG_0741.JPG

The top fish is the one with the white dot on the eye.
IMG_0742.JPG

The fish on the bottom, you see that whatever organ that is inside is much more prominent than the fish on the top or the tetra on the right.

What is going on here? White tips, dots on eyes, bloated looking fish? Help please!

On another note a weird looking pod of bubbles appeared above the water on the side of the tank one day, i dont know why put it there if it was a fish or a snail, it ended up drying out and falling into the tank.

First thing I noticed is your fish look to be serpae tetras as I have had those before. Check the Internet for them and you'll
find they look like yours. I believe black phantoms are more silverey. Second I had the same bloated thing happen with my black skirt tetra and he's been that way for over a year. I dunno what it is but he's happy n healthy on the serpae's I had the white tips too. All of mine had them and they didn't seem to show any ill effects. I would however stop all medications until you can figure out if it is indeed a problem. Check your water levels and go from there.

My H. Rasbora's had the same whitish spots on their fins. I treated with Melafix, and now they are good! One of them is a little fatty that looks alot like yours, and he/she is fine. :)

Yea those are Serpae Tetras. I have 5 of those and some of them have white tips like that. It's normal. The big belly is not normal though. Don't feed them for 2 days and see if the bloat disappears.

That pod of "bubbles" is most likely from the snails and are not bubbles at all! They are most likely the eggs that the snails have laid. Snails will generally "lay" the eggs above the water line in an attempt to protect them from the other fish.

OK, now that I look at the pictures again, are the white spots flat like someone painted the tips? or are these some type of fungus looking spots?

My serpae tetras have the end of their fins in faint white. looks like they were painted and the white paint faded away. But they have been like this for as long as I can remember(3 years now).

Back
Top Bottom