Bloated Neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flan123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could this be a sign of pregnancy? Just one out of my 7 looks real fat. It's feeding fine and has no colour loss. Help!

I have a black neon tetra that gets this way every once in a while. It looked so bloated at one point that I thought there was something wrong, but it fluctuates between sorta bit and really freaking huge and I haven't seen any bad signs related to it.

...other than it getting stuck one time behind the filter, that was kind of funny to watch.

I doubt it is pregnant. They don't readily breed in most aquariums, unless you are specifically trying to breed them.

A few questions to diagnose the problem:

Does the fish look ok other than bloating?

Is the spine curved at all in comparison to the other fish?

Do the scales look like they are raised at all, or the eyes popping out at all?

Any changes in behavior in comparison to the other fish?

What are your water parameters? (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, temp)

How long has the tank been established (if less than a couple of months, did you cycle it, and how?)

Tank age is only two weeks. The aquatic store tested my water yesterday but I've written it down and can't find it. They said it was perfect

Ok. That is the issue. What size tank?

Your tank is not cycled. Neons are a very difficult fish to cycle a tank with... I recommend fishless cycling almost universally, but if you must cycle with fish, neons are among about the worst choices for a first fish. I suspect over the next week or 2 you will see a few start to die off. My guess is the bloated neon already had some kind of infection or an issue, and the uncycled tank has caused the problem to manifest early and exacerbated the situation. It is vital that you get a FW Test kit if you plan to responsibly keep an aquarium. I would not rely on your LFS to tell you everything is "perfect".

Check out these 2 threads. It will help you understand what cycling a new tank means... and help you to understand the nitrogen cycle.

CYCLING WITH FISH
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

FISHLESS CYCLING
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

If you intend to keep the neons in the tank, it will mean a lot of partial water changes and tank maintenance over the next few weeks.

Oh god. What have I done!? I feel awful! I seriously do!

It's only a 5 gal, so I'm well prepared to buckle down and try to cycle the tank with the fish in. I have a well established goldfish tank (been running two years and have always only ever done PWC in that tank. Healthy goldfish, filtered tank). Would using a small amount of gravel from that tank help?

I've messed up, haven't I :-(

Keep up with frequent water changes and i think you can pull it off. I did close to the same thing and now i am doing close to a 50% water change everyday and plan on doing it for quite some time. I would also recomend you get your own testing kit. Most here recomend the API master kit but i do not own one yet so can't speek for myself.

Yes, absolutely the gravel will help!
You can put it in a stocking/pantyhose if you want to keep the gravel separated. Moving some of the filter media over would help significantly as well...

It is a very common mistake... don't beat yourself up over it. It will just take a lot of PWCs to keep the neon's kicking through the cycle... and you may lose a couple unfortunately. Unfortunately, LFSs perpetuate a lot of bad habits, especially for those just setting up a brand new tank.

I just read too that the tank is only 5 gal... Unfortunately, your tank is overstocked. Neons are pushing it... I keep them in a 5.5, but most would advise against it. If you must have them, 8 is too many. 5 is probably about the cap I would recommend (and several would disagree with me that even that is acceptable). The Cory is not really suitable for a 5 gal tank imo.

Moving filter media won't be possible as they're two completely different filters. And when you say clean pantyhose, you mean clean as in 'brand new'?

Bloody **** I know you say not to get down about it but I am now!!!!

yup, that will help significantly.

PWCs will still be required... and I would try and get a test kit ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom