bloated zebra danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok, I've had a zebra danio for over 6 months now (in a group of 5 zebra danios) and since day one, it had a slightly bigger tummy. Since then, its belly has grown huge. The scales lay fine, the fish even acts fine, swimming around just as much as the rest of them. It isn't from overfeeding because the rest of the fish look normal. I posted this info before, and nobody seemed to have an idea what it was, but I'm trying again. I can tell you that the danio's tummy does differ slightly from day to day. Some days it is less "lumpy" than others. I've done some research and aside from the normal dropsy, I cannot find much info on diseases which might be the culprit. I did read somewhere that the fish may be retaining eggs and cannot release them for whatever reason OR that is could be a tumor (but the day to day differences lead me to believe this isn't the culprit) and finally there is a possibility of some sort of internal infection and the bloating is from the deterioration of internal organs. I also do not think it is this last option because this perticular fish grew faster than all the rest, and since this has been happening for 6 months, I'd expect any organ deterioration to kill the danio by now. What do you guys think about it being eggs which cannot be released? Any other suggestions as to what might be causing this extreme bloating? Again, the fish is acting normal and eating well. The only problem I can see is that it is a little tougher for the danio to swim as fast as the rest, but that doesn't keep it from "leading the pack" and picking on others. Thanks guys!

I hope you guys are wrong about retaining eggs..i have five danios and three of them have huge bellies...If it is eggs I'm due for a whole bunch real soon!!

I try to watch all my fish a feeding time and in my case it may be that these three are eating more than their share but im not sure..I'm giong to continue to keep a close eye on them.

If they are retaining eggs watch out! When they are dropped move the danios out - they'll eat their babies! Or you could buy loads of new stuff they can hide in - e.g. castles, shipwrecks, plastic trees (you'l need hell loads) and shelters. Anywhere they can hide in the escape from predatorous parents!

well, I hope yours have the eggs soon unlike my poor danio who (if it is eggs) has been stopped up for months :(

Sounds like maybe constipation to me...

Try feeding them some cooked peas. Nuke them in the microwave, peel the skin off so that you have just the mushy part left. I had a goldie that got like this before...sometimes they just get a little backed up and need some help :wink:

Try this out, might be it!

constipation for 6 months?? I don't know, maybe for Rocket2001, but I'll try the peas anyway.

read somewhere that for constipation or for fish who couldn't release eggs to get a cup of the tank water, put some epsom salts in there and let the danio swim around in it for a while. would this work? or would it be too much stress for no good reason on my danio? what would the dosage be? thanks guys!

No, epsom salts are also available for constipation too. And sorry, the 6 month thing totally went over my head there... :wink:

Do a search for epsom salt here on AA, I know there have been threads about it before. I'm not sure the exact dosage though.

I have 4 zebra danios and one of them is always fat too but simply because its the most aggresive and eats more then others. I've had it like that ever since I bought it over 4 months ago. If I don't feed the fish for 1 day then the stomach gets smaller. Try not feeding your fish for 1 or two days and see if the stomach goes back to its normal size.

I would remove the fish to a quarrantine tank and observe closely. I would definitely try the pea treatment, as it may be that this particular fish is having trouble digesting regular fish food for whatever reason, and will always do so, and may indeed perish due to a genetic flaw.

Any fish that is showing symptoms of a problem should be removed from the rest until you know more just to be safe. It may be nothing, hopefully, but better safe than sorry. There could be internal parasites in this particular fish that might respond to medicated food, and be able to return to the bunch later. If it is egg-bound, it will be easier to discover this in a quarrantine/hospital tank.

I've been keeping a eye on my danios and it seems that they are the most "bloated" after feeding. I think in my case its just that they are the fastest guys in the tank so thay get more than thier share of food. I fast my fish 1 day a week and the next day thay don't look nearly as big. So my vote is for "feeding them too much" as to why they are bloated.

hi
we've had the same problem but with a couple of neon tetras - 2 had huge bellies well still have huge bellies, i know females are always plumper but this is quite extreme........theyve been like this for about 8 months,i posted on this forum (with a pic) ages ago & despite some great advice the neons are still fat still swimming around,eating,scrapping & look quite happy. we did initially isolate them & treat for internal bacteria (med) & some other conditions but they stayed the same & we took the plunge months ago & put them back in the main tank with our fingers crossed.....hopefully your danio is the same as our neons & stays ok & happy.
sorry i cant really be much more help than that

Back
Top Bottom