Blood Parrot Cichlid Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MugWar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what tank conditions a BP needs to thrive. ie ph, KH, GH ect.
Thanks

A ph of 7.0 should do it, Dont let it get under 6.8-6-9 and i wouldnt let it get higher than 7.5. And other than that just keep nitrates and ammonia as low as possible and you should be fine. They are pretty easy as long as you dont overstock

I'm new to this awesome hobby... Nitrates and nitrites and ammonia are all kind of bad and should be kept as low as possible correct?

Correct. And for those fish a ph if 7.0 should be ideal. Certain fish require different water parameters. Blood parrots are pretty easy just dont overstock and dont overfeed! That alone with weekly/biweekly 25% water changes should keep all the bad stuff at bay

when I tested the water it was my KH was at 230mg/l and GH was500mg/l... So as long as I keep them at that level it should be fine?

when I tested the water it was my KH was at 230mg/l and GH was500mg/l... So as long as I keep them at that level it should be fine?

Yes, I wouldn't try adjusting them unless you are going to maintain it long term.

I wouldn't worry. I think your blood parrot will be fine as long as he doesn't catch his reflection in the glass.

What happens when he sees his reflection? and is there a way to stop the reflection?

New question for anyone who comes across this... My BP (Brutus) has been spending a lot of time "kissing" the heater in his tank... is that normal for them or is he cold. the water temp is at 80 degrees.

New question for anyone who comes across this... My BP (Brutus) has been spending a lot of time "kissing" the heater in his tank... is that normal for them or is he cold. the water temp is at 80 degrees.

80 degrees is a fine temperature. I wouldn't change it.

How long has he been kissing the heater? It didn't mess up his mouth did it?

He doesn't quite come into contact with the heater he seems to be keeping about 1/8-1/4 of an inch clearance. I first noticed it a couple days ago but he only did it for a few minutes. Yesterday and today he's spent most of his time right there by the heater. It is a highly reflective heater, basicly a mirror, would he be stairing at his reflection?

Back
Top Bottom