Blood Parrot Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddustinngodfreyy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my blood parrots has been sitting in the corner of the tank and won't move much and has been doing it for the past 3 days. The other parrot will sort of take guard over him and make sure the other fish don't mess with it. Is my fish sick?

Both of them had spots but that was over a month ago and it cleared up within a week or so. I've had the tank about 3-4 months. Other than that I haven't seen any changes.

I went through something similar. I had ich, I treated it and it seemed to have gone away. My fish are still scratching though. Do you notice them rubbing up against things in tank or twitching? If you do, then it is probably a different parasite...maybe velvet.

The day before the fish started sitting in the corner it would swim in circles with its body almost sideways..like at a 45 degree angle and it would just swim around

The easiest way for us to help you is to have you answer as many of the following questions that you can.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

1- blood parrot cichlid. Sits in corner all day and doesn't swim around...3 days prior was swimming in circles at kind of a 45 degree angle.
2- temp, 82degrees....others not known
3- 36 gallon been set up 2 months
4- Quiet Flow 30
5- 6 fish... 2 BP, 2 Jack Dempsey, 1 Tiger Oscar, 1 sucker fish...medium size
6- last changed 7-10 days ago, try to change every 7-10 days(I'm due soon), change anywhere from 5- 10 gallons depending on how dirty
7- got the 2 BP and JD 1.5 months ago...got TO 4 days ago
8- no
9- small cichlid pellets...no diet change

Do your water change and see if there is any change in the fish. Do a 50% change, also don't forget the dechlorinator. As you don't know your parameters, something might be slightly out of whack there.

It is possible that one fish is being affected more than the others. Regardless a water change can't hurt and it might make the difference. If not we can help you figure out what else may be going on.

Sadly not much better): when I gave them a water change I moved around the plants he was behind so for the past few hours that I've been in here he has been in the top corner of the tank near the filter. He came down for just a minute but is back in the corner now again. I dont know what to do...

Back
Top Bottom