Blood parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CowMoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so there is a possibility of getting another tank in the next year but I don't have a ton of space. I really like blood parrots. They are cute, colorful and friendly. I read on one site they need 30+ tanks but they get 8". This seems really small for a 8" fish. Anyway so I was thinking 1 parrot, 6-8 Cory cats and some schooling fish. Would this work and do the parrots need buddies of their own kind?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Scratch the schooling fish Ill put the Platty fry that my adults are making in the tank.

Parrots are fine alone. Seeing one in person it's truly a large fish. I wouldn't keep it in anything under a 55g IMO.

Caleb

Ok are they peacefull or like other SA chiclids?

Ok are they peacefull or like other SA chiclids?

I would say their aggression level is low, even if they wanted to harass someone, their deformed mouths wouldnt do much damage. Their aggression seems to be pretty similar to acaras from what i've seen

If you get any that act like mine, it'll be hard to feed bottom feeders. Both of mine have been very aggressive eaters.

Because of this, I have to hand feed my Senegal Bichir because otherwise they'd never let him get any food.

They can get much bigger then 8 inches-a friend of mine has 3 blood parrots and they are 11 inches & 2 are 13 inches... I I have had mine since April and he is already bigger then 8 inches he was only about 3 inches when I bought him. They grow fast and are big pigs .. I have ONE in a 55 gallon. They also have a very large bioload so they need massive filtration as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh ok

Back
Top Bottom