Blue Acara please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fernly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

My blue Acura seems to be at the bottom of the tank hanging out and won't move but isn't dead. His back tale and torso is turning black. He lives in a 55 gallon tank with 2 angels (one is blind), 1 rainbow and another blue Acara. I'm super worried for him he's my favorite in the tank. Quite the personality and comes when called. He's just not himself today. I'm worried because He has a small scratch on his belly but would this explain the turning black and the staying on the floor? Please help! Image1501628649.576688.jpg

I took this photo in a small quarantine bucket tank thing I had from a Bata that I just put him in while I get the "care tank" ready for him. I have a separate tank unused so he does have somewhere to go for now. Please help me save my baby Mr. Blue [emoji17]

As much fun as guessing every aspect of your tank would be... why don't you just provide the information;)

Sure. He lives in a 55gallon tank with his best buddy another blue acara, 2 angels (one is blind) and a rainbow fish. There's 2 fluval 70 filters, a bubbler and a UV filter.

Tank is 2yrs old, we keep the tank heater at 78 temp 78.6 constant, no ammonia, no nitrates or nitrites.

Routine 15% water change weekly.
Not sure the stuff my husband puts inside the tank during these changes though. This fish was my first fish so he's been around a long time.

This one is big blue I have a little blue also. All other fish lol happy healthy and lively. I'll snap a quick photo of little blue Image1501631614.195484.jpg

When I got the little one he was pretty small but I have had the tank about 2 yrs. both living in there for that long. The bigger one was about 2" when I got him 2 yrs ago

Ok.... honestly I don't see anything to concerning, have you noticed strange behavior between the 2? Shimmy shims and shake shakes?? I see a female that has a beat up tail, she's been digging?? You should really change more water, fish grow far better with fresh water. Mine were little football's after a year:p
ae0956058b657246a5ed86c12d554bac.jpg

I thought they were two boys... but yes I have plants and they love to rustle in the leaves and the bottom floor. I love them, such characters. They know there names and come when I call them. So sad for big blue.

No strange behavior at all. Big blue chases the little one some times but little blue gets away pretty quickly.

I'll let my husband know about the water changes, he handles that after work.

Thank you for your help. I'll keep you up to date on big blue. I pray he survives.

Yes same fish. His back is turning blackish coloring and he isn't moving much just hanging out at bottom. Breathing heavily wvt

He sometimes turns to his side now and looks like he's going to float then snaps out of it

My female did the same thing actually, she had a bunch of spawns and had to guard them relentlessly against the other tanks mates, angels are terrible. She may just need a break.

Back
Top Bottom