Blue cray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torrey45

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got this blue crayfish a while back and now I've noticed that he's staying in his cave more often and that he started digging a hole and using th rocks to plug up the entrence. The first time he molted he didn't do this but I thought this was normal and that he was going to molt soon. well it's been a little over a week now and I have only seen him in his cave. Last time he molted he didn't really show any signs,I just woke up and found his shell. Is it normal for this to take so long?

Yeah it can take a couple of days. But that sort of behavior is perfectly normal when he's preparing to molt.At this point, he is probably building up some calcium. Make sure your water hardness is pretty hard (like 8 dGH or more). Also, if you've not heard about iodine deficiency in crayfish, check out this link: link

Very normal for them to try and seclude themselves when they most. They are extremely fragile when they first molt and do not move very much. Leave the shell in there once it molts. They will eat this as it has plenty of nutrients and calcium it needs to makes its new shell stronger.
Good luck.

Here's a picture of mine once it molted, about 3 days later.

image-2115180744.jpg

Yeah my cray molted a couple days after I posted this, he looks great so far, seems healthy. Your cray looks great by the way

Back
Top Bottom