blue german Rams (update with pics now)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok just a few question on them. i believe i picked out a male and female from my LFS. they are taking a shining to each other already the wifie said. where do they feed in the water top mid or bottom etc and who will start the mating if it is a male and female because the one that i think is the female keeps going up to the male and rubbing on him or swim just left and below of him. she(if) is always by my rock structure and he swim just above. thanks in advance.

My rams come to the top to eat. They aren't shy at all. As for mating, I have no idea. I have two pairs. One pair male is always chasing the female. The other pair are youngun's and pretty much ignore each other. :?

thanks fluff

anyone else or is this post going to the black hole of other post i seen put out here with only one responds or none

You are now entering the twilight zone.......

I'm sure someone will respond. That person may not check the boards every day. Don't give up. :D

Sorry, that was out there, even for me. I believe rubysoho was having some luck with breeding rams. She hasn't been on in a couple days but maybe you could shoot her a pm. Or wait a few days. :D

Rams will condition up quickly with frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. They take about 2 weeks to condition. Mine make a nest in the gravel. They just spawned yesterday. But they are lees vigilant as parents than my Apistos. I think the Corys eat the eggs and wrigglers before they grow up so I really need a breeding tank to gauge success.

They like rock structures, driftwood and plants. They swim midwater mostly and feed at the top. They are substrate spawners and don't make use of the caves I have provided.

at my lfs where i buy my fish these 2 seem to already has a liking of each other so i was thinking it was a male and female hope i was right. and on a sader note my otos were found belly up this morning.

Will German rams breed more readily if you have two males and one female or two females and one male. Should you avoid getting three because it is better to only have pairs?
Also JChillen, does the brown diatom algea go away on its own? I have it pretty bad right now only on areas that face directly up (facing lights).

mattrox said he has 2male and one female if i am quoting him right, but i think he did that so there was a better chance at gettting a pair. about the gourami they may eat the young fry of your rams.

i lost my other ram tonite about 3 hours ago. same way as the first one. BOOHOO. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .

well, i am not giving up. i will probably get more tomorrow.after this water change tonite 2nd one this week.

and pitt. feel free to jump in this post anytime you want with question.

I split off parts of the post to the getting started forum because it was getting away from breeding questions and may get a better look there. :D

pitt420dude said:
Will German rams breed more readily if you have two males and one female or two females and one male. Should you avoid getting three because it is better to only have pairs?
Also JChillen, does the brown diatom algea go away on its own? I have it pretty bad right now only on areas that face directly up (facing lights).

If I had my 'druthers' (short for I'd rather) I would have 2 to 3 females and only one male in a main tank. When they start to make a nest move the pair to a breeding tank. 2 males has resulted in bickering...nothing hurting the fish, just I could have had the bioload dedicated to different fish.

I understand. Unfortunately two of my rams have the beginning of ich. Today is the 4th day I have had them in the tank and I am really bummed out as I thought they had made the transition and they were home free. I have the temp at 80, will add one more tblspn of salt tonight and try to get the temp a little higher.
What have your experiences been with treating ich on rams? Are they fairly hardy? What do you think their chances of making it through are (best guess?)? They are the only fish in the tank with it (my clown loach has what looks like three spots.)

well have bad news. and good news. bad news as a said b4 both of my rams passed away. good news so did the ones at my lfs. so it wasnt my fault. i went to look at their and so one doing the same thing mine were doing. YES. but that is wrong of me to say i am just glad i didnt kill them. well time to find some more rams. my feelings are better now.

here's new pics

Attachments

• imgp2266.jpg
    imgp2266.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 44
  • imgp2269.jpg
    imgp2269.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 40
  • imgp2302.jpg
    imgp2302.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 56
Back