Blue Gourami only disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon aquarium that has been established for over 3 years. It includes 2 blue gourami, some gold barbs, several species of loaches and a few congo tetras. The aquarium has been stable with its current inhabitants for a year. I've been somewhat neglectful of the aquarium lately - meaning I haven't really paid close attention to the fish. I've been incredibly busy with graduate school. I have kept up on water changes, feedings, etc. however, I just haven't really spent much time observing my fish. My ammonia levels and nitrite are always 0, with my nitrate usually in the low range (<5ppm) (it's a planted aquarium, with many plants). Anyway, all of the fish are healthy and happy, except my two gouramis. The one appears to be blind - it has white patches over its eyes (like, you can see black, but in the centers it's white....) and their scales both look like they're coming off in spots. I've had these fish for almost 2 years. I wish I had a picture but my camera is broken. It's not ick, and like I said, none of my fish seem affected at all. I just find it odd that only my gouramis look so awful... I'm in the process of setting up a quarantine tank, unfortunately all I've got is a 10 gallon, and they honestly do not look good right now. I just don't know what it could be that would ONLY be affecting gouramis...

How long have you had the gourami's? I have found that it can be hit and miss with quality gourami's. There are some lfs's that just don't seem to get good stock. Perhaps if they are new, they were sick from the start.

Are they bloated at all?

LOL, read the post twice and missed that both times.

On the eyes are they swollen or bulging at all? Any cottony white around the mouth? It sounds like a fungus or bacterial infection. After QT try treating with a medication like Jungle's fungus elliminator.

The eyes just have like a cloudy white patch in the middle. My grandma had a very old dog that was blind, and its eyes were cloudy. It looks like that. I know it's a bad explanation, but that's all I can think of. Their fins look like they're just really ragged. It's not cottony of white around their mouths. The main thing that I first noticed was a big patch on top of the one fish's back that looked like an injury, that's why I looked closer. I wish I knew how long this was going on for, I just honestly haven't paid that close of attention to the fish in the past couple of months. I do not inject CO2. The pH is around 6.5, which is normal for this area. I've got all kinds of medicine, most that I've not really used. I have melafix and pimafix from when I was raising catfish eggs, and also some antibiotics... but I definitely have the anti fungal stuff so maybe i'll start there. I honestly don't think they're going to make it though. It's so odd to me though that it's only the one species.

I don't recommend using melafix/pimafix on gourami's. They can be sensitive to is same as bettas. Try the QT and the antifungal medication and hope for the best.

Well, I decided to treat the entire tank with maracyn. I have maracyn and maracyn tc (inherited from a friend who moved), so I didn't have to go out and purachase it, and from what I can tell the maracyn seems to be safe. The fish who looked "blind" obviously doesn't look much better, but the other gourami seems to be a lot more perky today. Granted, they've had two treatments, but I was surprised to see him swimming around. I'm afraid the other one won't make it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep treating. There appear to be white tufts on the one fish, which appear consistant with a fungal infection. I've read a bit more, and it really seems like a fungal infection. Maracyn said it would work, but what are some other name brand fungal treatments I could pick up at a pet store? Preferably that are plant safe.... I have no inverts... Or do you think maracyn would be enough? I decided to treat the whole tank, as I said, because even though right now the two gouramis appear to be the only ones affected, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have like 40 of the little packs of maracyn, so I'm not really out any money using it, but I know medicines can get expensive especially if I plan to treat a 55 gallon tank. I'm checking ammonia/nitrites twice a day to make sure the biological filter doesn't get screwed up. Any other advice? (I've never had to treat for an illness like this in the many years I've had fish... so I guess I'm a little freaked out. I've been lucky). If the gouramis end up dying, would the pimafix or melafix be recommended? Are both unsafe for gouramis or just pimafix? I've tried looking on the internet, but the only things I see are in message boards, I can't find a good source to research it. Not that I don't believe you! But, I like reading. Thanks again for the help.

So, just a quick update. Now day 3 of the maracyn treatment. Both fish seem to be recovering. I'm still worried that the one who looked worse off may not make it, his scales are looking bad... but they're both more active, and the one who looked blind no longer looks blind. I feel horrible... I wasn't neglecting the tank as a whole just not paying attention to the fish. I should have caught it a lot sooner before it got to this point. I hope they both make it.

Any recommendations on something to help them heal faster? I don't like using too many chemicals, but I don't know if I should consider something other than maracyn for when the treatment is done?

Thanks for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom