Blue green aglae/slime how to get rid of it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His dosage of 4 T (approx 60 ml or 6 ml per gallon) or lower dosage or 2 T (approx 30 ml or 3 ml per gallon) per ten gallons is much higher than what I use at closer to 1.5 to 1.8 ml per gallon being sure to stay below 2 ml per gallon or approx .5 ml per liter (I finally did that simple math for the folks with tanks in liters). I'm glad he mentions the actual water volume vs. the tank rated volume. If you use the tank rated volume you can easily overdose.

And he adds excel as well. I dose excel, but only in normal amounts as liquid CO2.

Of course he's going after algae and I'm going after cyano. That's why I tend to call it cyano. I don't even think of it as algae. I think of it more as a bacteria that photosynthesizes. It's not like normal algae. That's why a much lower and safer dose can work.

I have read this entire thread at TPT in my research and I think it is important to read beyond the initial article. Many fish and inverts were lost. I'm not personally comfortable with his method. I'd rather have algae than dead fish. I'm still very grateful for his shared knowledge, and the experience of all the posters.

aparently no one read what i said, and you all wanna toss hydrogen perioxide and antibiotics in your tank....

I now see that I or someone should have responded to your post.

I don't think anyone did because no one had a quarrel with it. I fully agree with trying other things first and frankly removing all you can by hand, water changes, checking ferts and lighting periods and increasing water flow. Those are all things in the cyano fighting arsenal.

As you know if the cyano gets out of control it can kill your fish and plants or at least affect them negatively.

I have no idea as to what others try first, but one of the first things I said is that if you don't correct tank conditions, it will come back, so correction of tank conditions always comes first.

I didn't say it, but I want you to know that I did add the recommended dose of Seachem Nitrogen to my tank several times, as well as checked my lighting ferts, etc. Adding nitrogen may help, but it doesn't always. I added an air stone to increase circulation. I hand cleaned more than once. I'm always diligent on my water changes but I upped that, too in the course of hand cleaning. It always came back. It was only then that I resorted to H2O2.

Cyano is an infection and like any infection sometimes it doesn't go away even when you clean everything up and improve conditions. Sometimes it needs a knock out.

The one thing I'm not comfortable with, for my own reasons, is a complete three day blackout and the cyano often comes back from that according to the experiences of others I read.

There are many ways to attack the problem and no way is perfect. There are trade offs and uncertainties. This was the one that worked for me and I wanted to share how it worked as an alternative to erythromycin. When the OP chose it, then it was my duty to help make it as safe as possible.

If I left you with the impression that I believe in just dumping in H2O2 without trying other things first, it was not the impression I wanted to leave. I can only speak for myself, but I venture to guess that if anyone had a quarrel with your post, or thought it was incorrect, they would have said so. After all, this is the internet!

My cyano prob persisted at a level I kept low with diligent work (as in it killed no flora or fauna) and after about 3 weeks of battling it and ending up with a stand off between me and it, this is what worked for me with what I believe are minimal environmental impacts and reasonable safety. YMMV.

Last edited:
When I first posted to this thread it was just to share my experience in the hope of giving an option, but I based what I did (that worked for me) on many hours of reading. I never stop studying, and I read another article tonight that I wanted to share. It was a link from the H2O2 article at "The Skeptical Aquarist" (an article I had already read as well as the cyano articles there). I just wanted to share it as general information about the safety and effectiveness of H2O2 in the aquarium. And if I post it here I'll be able to find it again ;). Whatever anyone does in their tanks, I hope they keep it as safe as possible.

Hydrogen Peroxide

At any time, if anyone has more questions about my personal experience with my cyano, feel free to ask via PM, but I'm about ready to fold my tent and move on from this thread. In sharing my experience I make no guarantees, nor can I even though I would love to be able to. All I can do is add one data point to the collective experience.

All my best wishes to the OP or anyone who is dealing with the "swamp scum" called cyano. There are many ways to battle it. Finding the one that works for you is the trick.

It worked my tanks is looking a lot better now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just dosed 1000mg of erythromycin in 240l planted tank with a lots of rocks Is 1000mg enough?
Im told to dose it in one punch and do nothing for 7 days, then do egular WC

Back
Top Bottom