Blue green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarijuana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Need help identifying and eliminating this algae from my tank. Just finished taking care of an ich problem via hyposalinity, wondering if this algae may be thriving due to the low salt levels?

ForumRunner_20121222_201951.jpg

Need help identifying and eliminating this algae from my tank. Just finished taking care of an ich problem via hyposalinity, wondering if this algae may be thriving due to the low salt levels?

Looks like cyano waterchanges and up the flow in that area

Aside from whater changes what else can I do? I have been through probably 10 changes so far all using RO water and no sign of it letting up. I only have one fish in the tank at the moment (a chromis) and a fire shrimp so I know the issue isn't overpopulation and I only feed them every other day and a very small amount of food. I currently have a fluvial canister filter (the one with 3 chambers) which I know isn't really optimum but I ran a 140 gallon off the same filter previous to this tank and it was adequate. Would cyno thrive in low salinity water?

Yes. They thrive usually n low flow areas. It could be your lighting too i.e the number of hours you you have your lights on or your bulbs doesnt give off the required spectrum and needs to be change. My thread is called "kill cyano" you can read it :)

Yes. They thrive usually n low flow areas. It could be your lighting too i.e the number of hours you you have your lights on or your bulbs doesnt give off the required spectrum and needs to be change. My thread is called "kill cyano" you can read it :)

Definately thrives in low flow add flow for sure clean filter weekly

They also grow like weeds if you have direct sun light into the tank.
You also need to cut down in feeding and change the light bulb every 6-12 months if you are using MH or T5. As those bulb will produce much more spectrum favour in the cyano than your coral.
Also what is phosphate reading?

Back
Top Bottom