Blue Green Slime Algea or Cyanobacteria??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pretty sure that I have this algea in my 10 gallon newly planted tank, at least I'm pretty sure. I've read that it is from poor water quaility and yet I keep this tank pretty clean with at least a 50% water change weekly.

I have 3 apistos in this tank, along with a small stressed out Ram, who was being picked on in the big tank. I have some plants in there, a coconut hut and a clay pot. I does Floursh Excel every other day because of the Anarcharis and my lighting is two compact flourescent srew in bulbs, 15 watts each.

This aglea seemed to appear on Monday, a couple of days after I dosed some ferts (Friday) but that could just be a coincidence but somehow I don't think so. I added a small tiny pinch of K2SO4 and KNO3, and 2 drops of phosphate (Fleet). I had tested the phosphates and they were low. Then the following day I dosed micros CSM+B about 1/4 tsp of a mix (1 tbsp to 500 ml water). That's the only time I added any ferts to the tank. I waited two weeks to add the ferts, so the tank could get established.

The plants were looking so nice and growing pretty rapidly for no CO2, but yesterday I had to remove the Moneywort, they bottom steps were covered with this blue green slime and I just finished washing it off of my Rotala.

What is causing this algea? What can I do besides adding the Erythromycin, anything? The main thing I am worried about here if I do use Maracyn is killing of the beneficial bacteria in my tank. Can I just do a complete overhaul, throw out the plants affected, gravel vac and water changes?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Blue green algae ais the common name for cyanobacteria.
It is generally caused by very low nitrates, so you have a NO3 test kit?

Maracyn or a black out will kill the algea in many cases. Maracyn does not generally damage the bio-filter, but I would monitor nitrite and ammonia level just to be safe.

What's your lighting like?

I'm finding another cure is heat treatment, like when you have ick. When I had my 55G up to 88-90 degrees for ick treatment for 3 weeks, no more algae. :) But only recommend it as a last resort. I just wouldn't bump the temp up just for it unless it's so persistant, you have no other choice.

My lighting is 2 - 15 watt screw in compact flourescent light bulbs and I usually turn the lights on right before I leave for work in the a.m. at 7:00 and turn the lights off in the evening around 7:00 p.m., so they are on approximately 12 hours, is this too long?

Will the Maracyn hurt the fish, should they be removed from the tank when I dose this? What about the plants? One more question, do I dose Maracyn according to the directions on the box or only one dose?

If it is generally caused by low nitratres, would adding more KNO3, help to get rid of it, or fight it off? Funny, I added KNO3 to the tank on Friday night because it was low. When I first started the plants in this tank, a couple of weeks ago, I only had 2 fish in this tank, now I have 4, although 3 of them are juvenilles, apistos, so they should also be helping with the low nitrates.

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated. I only hope that's what it is, I believe it is because it totally suffocated the bottom leaves of my Moneywort plant, I had to toss that and also my baby tears had some on it. It was also on my Rotala Indica but I could sort of wipe that off, I'm sure it will come back though, if what I read about it is true. I also read that this form of bacteria/algae can hurt the fish, is this correct?

Thank you for your kind attention!
Linda

BGA is caused by a lack of water movement, or lack of nitrates. Test nitrates. without knowing more information, all we can do is assume and speculate.

BGA is toxic to fish...rather it releases toxins into the water, so it does need to be taken seriously.

However Maracyn should be THE last resort. I've never heard of heat treatment for BGA, in fact in the one tank I've had it in...that's my warmest tank. Bacteria incubate in heat, BGA is bactera, not algae.

It will come back until you fix what's causing it. For that, we need a legit nitrate test.

Also don't worry about K2SO4. You can't overdose potassium. For a 29gallon, I'd add a half teaspoon twice a week.

So if Maracyn is the last resort, what are some of my other options besides testing for Nitrates? If nitrates are low, then should I add KNO3 and if so, how much? Will this help rid the tank of it?

Every article that I have read suggests treating the tank with Marcyn, I haven't read any other options. I do need to get it out of there and would like to do it as quickly as possible.

Oh btw. the tank that's infected is my 10 gallon planted tank, not my 29 gallon.

Thanks!

maracyn is a last resort by those 'in the know'. its an anti-biotic...its use can make fish immune to it over time...just like people...and then when you need it for a fish related infection, its useless and your whole tank is lost. Not fun.

Since this is not related to your planted tank, I'm moving the thread to the FW general discussion.

THIS DOES AFFECT MY PLANTED TANK.

But it is related to my planted tank, why do you say that? It's affecting my plants, doesn't that count? If you read my post is states my 10 gallon NEWLY PLANTED TANK right up at the beginning where I'm asking for help. Then I stressed again that it wasn't my 29 gallon, it was my 10 gallon tank. It killed my Moneywort. I've been looking for this post all afternoon!

I just got rid of cyano by doing a blackout on my 20 gallon. The first blackout didn't quite get it all, so I waited another day and then blacked the tank out again. I've used Maracyn in the past to get rid of it, but it does affect your bio filter, no matter what the package says- I tested the water and definitely saw a mini-cycle. This was in a 55 gallon, so I was really hesitant to try it in a smaller volume of water, once my 20 gallon had this problem. Maybe you should try it. Just do a 50% pwc beforehand, and remove all the cyano by hand that you can get. Then it's lights out. Cover the tank with a thick blanket or comforter so no light can get in. Don't feed or peek for 5 days. Then, uncover the tank, do another 50% pwc, and remove the dead cyano. I left the blanket on my tank for 5 days the first time, and 6 days the second time.

Maybe someone who is more experienced with planted tanks could tell me this... if LindaC has 3 wpg in her planted tank, that is considered high light and would require CO2, right? Would the addition of CO2 help to correct the nutrient imbalance that is causing the cyanobacteria in the first place?

Thank you for you respone but wouldn't the black out kill my plants? I suppose it really doesn't matter if the cyano is going to kill them anyway. I just tested the nitrates in that tank and they are 0, would adding KNO3 to the tank help at all? One more thing, what about the fish in a 5 day black out, will they be okay without food?

I really appreicate your help! What a horrible algea this is huh?

Oh btw, this is my 10 gallon planted tank with 2 15 watt compact flourescent lights and no CO2, however, I do dose with Flourish Excel.

Do a complete blackout. Like Severum mama said, you may need to do it more than once. It took me three 5 day blackouts over the course of three weeks to completely eradicate this evil stuff from my 58 gal.

Plants are pretty hardy - that have nutrients stored up in the leaves and roots that they can draw from during a blackout. BGA has no such stores and will die. Of course, your plants won't look their best when it's over, but they will quickly bounce back. Good luck - BGA sucks!

QTOFFER said:
Good luck - BGA sucks!

*LOL* It sure does, yes, I guess that's what I will do, I really didn't want to use Marcyn.

Many thanks for all your help, both of you!

My plants are still alive, that is, the ones that the cyano didn't kill already. I just ended my second blackout today and I'm pleased to say the cyano seems to be gone. Keep your fingers crossed for me guys, that this stuff doesn't come back!!!

QTOFFER, did you do anything other than the blackouts to get rid of yours? Has it come back yet?

Severum mama, before the blackout, I cleaned the glass, removed the stonework and driftwood, and scrubbed them clean under running water. Before replacing them in the tank, I did a thorough gravel vac and 50% water change.

After the blackout, I did a 50% water change and ran the diatom filter for an hour. I had to prune and manually rub the dead BGA off my swords. It's been about a month so far, and the BGA hasn't come back. Yay! At one point, I was seriously considering antibiotics, but some of the plant gurus on the site convinced me to give the blackouts another try.

One more thing - run a wet paper towel around the top lip of the tank before the blackout - I think my reinfections occurred from pockets of BGA hiding there.

Back
Top Bottom