Blue Hippo Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello my local fish store has a blue hippo tang that's a inch big. I was looking to add him to my 65 gallon tank. Was wondering how long do you think until he outgrows the tank? I only have 2 clowns and 2 starfish in it now. Was thinking about getting a 150 gallon tank within the next 2 years.

if his grow rate is anything like my vlamingi Tang you have around 6 months , I got him he was about the size of a quarter six months later he is 8 inch and still growing so far out of all my fish he has the most rapid grow rate , never seen a fish grow so fast at least that's noticeable

Last edited:
I feed 1x a day but I have plenty of macro's that most of the fish snack on during the day

If I don't have much algae is there something I can add to create some or feed it seaweed or something on a clip?

You can buy nori sheet algae usually from a lfs and put it in a clip. The tang probably won't know what to do with it at first so frozen foods like mysis and spirulina will be your best bet from the start.

my guys are paranoid with the clip so now I use rock and rubber-band they love broccoli heads too , think I got them spoiled they don't touch the nori much they rather eat the live ulva and other macro's

Rocks with rubber bands are great for tangs like koles that are more 'rippers' than other tangs.
I've really grown to liking my gourmet grazer that I got for xmas. Really big improvement on clips.

How hard would you say it is to have a blue hippo? I'm reading it's not bad but ick seems to happen often

All tangs can easily be stressed if their environment isn't right for it in terms of space. They need their room to swim and establish a healthy territory of their own. Less stress leads to higher success.

Now I was reading when you get a blue hippo you should put it in a qt tank for a week or two so ick doesn't spread to you're main tank. Do you have to do this or can you treat it for ick right away

Using a QT tank is treating for ich right away, which is different than freshwater ick for the record. Ich has a life cycle of several weeks, which is why it is recommended that the QT system be up and running for that long so you can monitor the fish for the length of that life cycle while treating to ensure that no ich is being brought into your display.

Do you recommend having a qt tank for any saltwater or just especially for fish that are prone to getting stress and problems?

Having a QT tank for any new arrivals is best practice. That said, best practice isn't always practical. I know in my home I simply don't have the space for another tank. This makes it impossible for me to have a QT, even for a couple of weeks.

That's my problem too. I just don't have the room for another tank. How do you treat any problems you might have if you don't have a qt? For example ick

You simply can't outside of maintaining stable, pristine water conditions. If the water is pristine, there is less stress...other things like having enough rocks and room for territories to be established also plays into this as well.
But the brass tacks is that there aren't any medications that can be applied to the display tank. Copper based meds leach into rock and kill inverts. Any meds that aren't copper based have no research behind them to be an actual cure to anything...and will upset a skimmer like nobody's business...though most likely nothing but flavored water.

I saw there like pills and liquid that u can use to kill ick. What exactly happens if you treat your display tank? Cause I just have live rock and fish no coral or anything

Copper leaches into the rock and stays there. Long term copper exposure isn't healthy for fish either, but it will also kill all inverts. If memory serves me correctly, the same would go for the beneficial bacteria established in your tank as well...but I don't think enough to un-cycle a system.

Back
Top Bottom