Blue johanni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today I went to my LFS and saw these really cool Blue Johanni cichlids and I was wondering if they are compatible with electric yellow cichlids and aceis

Fishguy1997 said:
So today I went to my LFS and saw these really cool Blue Johanni cichlids and I was wondering if they are compatible with electric yellow cichlids and aceis

They are very mean when they get bigger.

Well my cichlids right now can hold there own so and I have plenty of hiding places

Fishguy1997 said:
Well my cichlids right now can hold there own so and I have plenty of hiding places

You have two of the more mild mannered fish available, as soon as those Johanni reach sexual maturity they can reek havoc on the tank inhabitants.

I would get 2 males for there brighter colors and the pair wouldnt be nasty

I thought the same thing but agree completely with Mogurako.....,

I had to rehome mine before they killed several of my other cichlids. They were great until they reached sexual maturity.

Thanks I'm going to go back to the LFS sometime this week and look at the fish and see if they have other cool ones

i noticed you only have 2 acei? if you are planning on keeping them then you should up the group to at least 4 (1m-3f) before adding a different species. althought most people would agree that acei should be in at least a 4 foot tank.

i believe that the species you're looking at when they say "blue johanni" is actually maingano, which look almost identical other then the fact that johanni females are yellow. was there a mix of color in the tanks or were they all blue? if they are maingano (all blue, no difference between female and male) then i think it may work in your tank. they are aggressive but from what i have heard they are less aggressive then johanni. i personally have them mixed with red zebras and yellow labs in my tank and i find that they are mostly aggressive to each other, they rarely pick on anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom