Blue Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DamselnDistress

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw a blue lobster at the LFS and I was told they only get about a half a foot....but im looking on liveaquaria and its saying a foot or a foot n a half for a spiny blue lobster and so does marine depot...are we talking about the same lobster?

Make sure the one you're seeing at the LFS is really a lobster and not a large crayfish. . . I got all excited myself about one of those and then found that it was a crayfish. It is freshwater and has differing environmental needs from typical tropical FW fish.

We have one at our LFS store that was taken out of a customer's tank when it got too big.

It started out the size of a shrimp (a good 1.5" or so) and is now well over a foot. Very beautiful but they do get big. He just molted the other day too... so he's still growing. Right now he's in a 90 gal. but before too much more time goes by... he'll be moved into the 800 gal. show tank.

There *can* be. Since pictures speak louder then words... here's some examples:

North Atlantic Blue Lobster (from Maine)
news1a_08-30-01.jpg

Painted Blue Lobster (from all topical oceans)
LOBSTER.jpg

(blue) Coral Painted Crayfish (from Australia) - it's actually a lobster, but you know... Aussies always have to be a little different:
TropicalLobsterphoto1a.jpg

There are others too... but those above are most commonly kept in captivity.

Those don't cover the many shrimp (mantis and pistol) that have a blue color and can grow to be a good 6"... nor any of the freshwater crayfish.

Real Atlantic Blue Lobsters are VERY rare as shown above. I live in Maine about two miles from the ocean, usually when one is caught, it ends up on the news and gets put on display somewhere :)

Yeah, just saw one on the news a while ago, I thought they said that only about one per year is caught, though I could be wrong on the time length. When you consider all the fishing going on that's not many.

Back
Top Bottom