Blue Ram Fry Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burger Wife

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi , I have a small 2.5g tank that I cycled by putting a few guppies in two weeks ago.

1. Is the tank ready for the Ram fry? I have about 30 fry.

2. What substrate would be best for them?

The Ram fry have just hatched a day ago and are wiggling on a rock. The parents have thrown some sand on them, I don't know for what.

3. When should I move the fry over, and how?

4. What should I feed the fry, and for how long before I have to start feeding something different?

I have a HOB filter with a filter sponge on the intake tube.

5. Will any fry be sucked in?
if so, what can I do to the filter to make it safe?

There are some pond snails in the tank.

6. Will they harm the fry?

7. How should I do the maintenance for the tank?

1. Your gonna need something bigger. Test the water first before putting them in
2.alot of people like no substrate when raising fry like these. It ,makes them easier to feed.
3. If it were ,me I would give them about two weeks with the parents then switch em.
4. When I had my convict fry I jus crushed up fish flakes and feed them I also would crumbled, betta pellets so it could fit in they mouth.
5.they should be ok with the sponge attached
6. No

7. Forty percent water change every week sometimes you can do more it helps the fry to grow faster and helps keep them healthy

1. Your gonna need something bigger. Test the water first before putting them in
2.alot of people like no substrate when raising fry like these. It ,makes them easier to feed.
3. If it were ,me I would give them about two weeks with the parents then switch em.
4. When I had my convict fry I jus crushed up fish flakes and feed them I also would crumbled, betta pellets so it could fit in they mouth.
5.they should be ok with the sponge attached
6. No
But they never last more than 5 days with the parents...

Oh ok sorry I don't have ram fry experience just convict cichlid fry. Take them out quick then . Are they free swimming yet

Syphon the fry out when the are free swimming,day one. Feed them fresh hatched BBS for two weeks then try offering other food with the shrimp.The fry will be very small and pretty slow growing.
2.5 g is perfect.
Fill the tank only 1/2 way when you add the fry with water from the tank they came from. No gravel and daily water changes to remove any extra brine shrimp. a sponge filter driven by air or airstone will work.
The fry and water level will mess with any other filter.
Slowly add water first couple days from original tank until 2.5 is full[about 5-7 days].
That will help dilute the nutrients. After tank is full 50% daily is best with clean temp matched water..
Good luck as rams are tough to master..:cool:

I probably won't be able to feed BBS, I am a kid and it's exam time (aaah) and it will be too much work.what else would work? Hikari first bites?

Possibly first bites..
It is the movement of the BBS that is important IMO.
The movement catches the frys attention and they learn to feed this way...
Rams are horrible parents so just keep practicing taking the eggs/fry and artificially raising them..
They may also eat frozen BBS...

The only reason I wouldn't do 2.5 is its harder to maintain water chemistry in small tanks but if your gonna change the water quite of ten then I guess it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom