Blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
In a 55g comunity tank can I put one blue ram in it with 6 pepper corys also in the tank. And also would my Amano shrimp be safe.

I'm pretty sure that the ram and the cories will get along because everyone that I've asked about my cories with a ram has turned out to be positive. I'm not sure about the shrimp though... Just make sure to have enough hiding places for them and they should be fine

I don't see why not, but lots of members will say no because they have trouble keeping them together because the rams will bully the cories. IME mine haven't done that.

This really pertains to pairs kept in tanks smaller than the OP's tank. Every now and then you will find an exceptionally aggressive single specimen, but it's very rare.

Yeah I was thinking of getting two at first thinking there are enough plants and hiding spots but don't want to chance the aggression. Also there is a dwarf gourami in there. I have heard mixxed reviews but more leaning towards it being ok. Wanting to make sure though. Thank you all for your fb.

I've heard gourami's with the rams aren't a good idea, but haven't tried it myself. I would definitely expect your amano's to be killed though. I haven't tried mixing any shrimp with rams, but have been told even if they are too small to eat the amano's, they will peck them to death.

i have 2 german blue rams (male) in a 45 gal tank with 7 dwarf gouramis and asst other fish. they all get along fine. no problems with the rams and dwarf gouramis although my rams always eat my ghost shrimp if the s.a. bumblebee cat fish don't get them first. :)

I've been keeping amanos with rams, apistogramma, discus, and angels for years without issue. Buy big ones. ;)

They will be fine, maybe get a few rams so they just bother each other and not the cories, I have 7, they are awesome fish, theirs 2 pairs and the 3 other females are a bit lonely i think :(
They do get quite aggressive when they breed, you will see the pair hanging around a Leaf or a flat rock, and the male will be pecking at the leaf to clean it so they can lay their eggs, this is when they are very territorial.
I have seen my females pregnant a few times but never any babies :( appariently it takes them a few times to get it right and take care of the fry

They will be fine, maybe get a few rams so they just bother each other and not the cories, I have 7, they are awesome fish, theirs 2 pairs and the 3 other females are a bit lonely i think :(
They do get quite aggressive when they breed, you will see the pair hanging around a Leaf or a flat rock, and the male will be pecking at the leaf to clean it so they can lay their eggs, this is when they are very territorial.
I have seen my females pregnant a few times but never any babies :( appariently it takes them a few times to get it right and take care of the fry

Research the fish you have. They are egg layers and have no business in that stocking ratio unless it's a very large tank.

Can we please stop with the youthful speculation about fish you've had for any amount of time less than a year? Please....

Last edited:
Research the fish you have. They are egg layers and have no business in that stocking ratio unless it's a very large tank.

Can we please stop with the youthful speculation about fish you've had for any amount of time less than a year? Please....

They are in a 225 gallon and yes your right i have had them a little less then a year, also from what i have seen the pair take a part in the tank, the male cleans the area does his buisness, the female extends her breeding tube does her buisness then the female fattens up a bit before laying the eggs. I have never seen the eggs though, i'm just guessng they get eaten by the parents. I know they are not livebearers i thought the female had intestinal worms the first time.

My bad then. I'm totally envious of a 225. :)

severum mama said:
I've been keeping amanos with rams, apistogramma, discus, and angels for years without issue. Buy big ones. ;)

Hehe on a good note the ones I received from you seem to be as big as the rams so I assume they should be ok. I ended up getting two female rams. If any thing seems to go wrong and I got a pair I'll see how they do but I spent over an hour looking at the tank to choose the two I got. Back up plan A I move them to my 20 where there are no cories and plan b if they harass the Amano then they go to the shimp tank with the rcs. So hopefully that keeps my bases covered.

Back
Top Bottom