Blue Rams and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

I went out today to LFS and bought to Blue rams for my tank. God they are beautiful fish. Will they be ok in PH of 7.4?:confused: I hate to have to use chemicals to lower and maintain 6.8ish

you can use peat moss or bogwood to lower the pH. GBRs do best with a pH of 6-7. but always remember that stability is key. :D

Gillie said:
They will be fine, most Rams are raised in normal tap water. I used to breed them in well water with a Ph around 7.8

These are not African chiclids they are south American does that matter?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Your Ph should be fine. Most fish can adapt to a wide range of ph if properly acclimated.

Your GBR is beautiful. You should make the first pic your avatar. :)

These are not African chiclids they are south American does that matter?

They are the German blue variety not wild caught from Colombia so the water parameters as far as Ph goes are not as important.

Most are Rams are pond raised on fish farms in South Florida in moderately hard water.

The male in the second pic is a fantastic speciman by the way.

Gillie said:
They are also the German blue variety not wild caught from Colombia so the water parameters as far as Ph goes are not as important.

Most are Rams are pond raised on fish farms in South Florida in moderately hard water.

Good to know! Is there an easy way to sex them?

Gillie said:
Males get very pronounced spines in the dorsal like you have and the females get a bright pink belly.

You say gets a pink belly but how can I tell now?

Aw they are very nice. I have heard the name blue ram so much. I just wanted to see yours. But were is the blue ?

The blue is there most of the time it's a light angle thing like in the second pic, if you saw them in courtship and brood care color you you would be amazed. I had a wild pair that would turn almost purple.

Gillie said:
The blue is there most of the time it's a light angle thing like in the second pic, if you saw them in courtship and brood care color you you would be amazed. I had a wild pair that would turn almost purple.

Gillie can you sex these to rams for me please?

Attachments

• image-2505948665.jpg
    image-2505948665.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 93
  • image-1407074830.jpg
    image-1407074830.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 93
Love_MyFish said:
Gillie can you sex these to rams for me please?

Attachments

• image-1266197238.jpg
    image-1266197238.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 80
Please help me sex these guy. Video might help more. These are different one than the original pics.

Video 1

Video 2

Thanks

Gillie said:
Its hard to tell from the pics and video but judging by the overall length of the dorsal fin they all look to be male.

Here some more pics.

Attachments

• image-3590573589.jpg
    image-3590573589.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1757147965.jpg
    image-1757147965.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3327071343.jpg
    image-3327071343.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 76
The 1st pic may be a female it kinda looks like there may be some color starting to show in the belly but it's hard to tell the dark area of the background also makes it hard to tell if the 2nd and 3rd spines in the dorsal fin are starting to elongate. the sunken belly on this one could be a sign of starvation or an internal parasite.

The 2nd pic could be female.

The 3rd pic is definately a male

Here's a pic of a pair
http://discusmadness.com/images/mivaimages/Rams-pair-200.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom