Blue rams not very active

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xsryman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just setup a new 20gal with two new blue rams. They have been in for a day now but dont seem to be very active. The just hover along the bottom of the tank and dont move. One sits in the back corner behind a plant and the other sits behind a piece a driftwood. I put some food in for them and they dont even bother with it so I just have to scoop it out. Am I doing something wrong. Maybe my tank isnt the right habit? Here is a pic.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

upy9u9et.jpg

Ok, Big problems here, "just set up " and. " blue rams" should never be in the same sentence let alone same page.. Tell me everything about your tank. ( even still I'm probably going to recommend returning the rams as they are very delicate fish and require a matured established tank)

Also they like a heavily planted tank as well. I want some gbr but since my tank is only about 2 Months old I'm gonna wait till my plants are covering my tank before I get them

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is your water parameters? It's true what brookster123 said but as along as you can keep your water quality pristine then your blue rams should be fine. Try feeding them with a fair of twisters, hover the food right in front of their mouth and they should eat it. That's what I did with my pair when I first bought them, now they ain't scared of anything, they will swim next to my hand whenever I'm cleaning my tank.

Another reason I can think off is your blue ram is feeling nervous to swim out to the open especially when the tank is so lite up. They need other fish (preferably school fish) to there fish so they know it's safe to swim out in the open. As far as I can tell your tank looks pretty empty.

Rams are very shy fish and very fragile. Usually dither fish like tetras or rasboras are good at bringing them out. They let the rams know it is safe. However, like stated rams really
Should not go in a new tank. Is it cycled?

Also they like a heavily planted tank as well. I want some gbr but since my tank is only about 2 Months old I'm gonna wait till my plants are covering my tank before I get them

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

:) thats a good idea, I waited for a good 4 months before I bought my rams. You wouldn't regret it! I love GBR.

Ok, Big problems here, "just set up " and. " blue rams" should never be in the same sentence let alone same page.. Tell me everything about your tank. ( even still I'm probably going to recommend returning the rams as they are very delicate fish and require a matured established tank)

The tank has been cycled properly. I did a complete fishless cycle converted 4ppm in 24hrs. Has dual T5HO's with zoomed florasun and aqueon daylight 6500k lamps. Quickcrete playsand substrate 100% washed (took me like 4hrs). AC200 filter with chemical and bio media along with polishing pad. Heat is set to 74-76 degrees. I plan to add more plants but I thought they could chill in there while I acquire more plants. What else do you need to know?

Maybe add more fish huh? What makes a good take mate for these litte guys?

I have 10 endler tetras from another tank I could add. Maybe float some anachris on top for extra shade?

Maybe add more fish huh? What makes a good take mate for these litte guys? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
ohh, you should be ok. just get the temp up to 80-82, they will be shy until you get them some structure and dithers for sure, just keep an eye in them.

The tank has been cycled properly. I did a complete fishless cycle converted 4ppm in 24hrs. Has dual T5HO's with zoomed florasun and aqueon daylight 6500k lamps. Quickcrete playsand substrate 100% washed (took me like 4hrs). AC200 filter with chemical and bio media along with polishing pad. Heat is set to 74-76 degrees. I plan to add more plants but I thought they could chill in there while I acquire more plants. What else do you need to know?

Just wondering why u need chemical filtration? If there's nothing wrong with your tank, your better off with an extra sponge or something. Just my opinion anyways.

Yes, endlers will work. Otherwise, u can try a school of 6-8 neon tetra, cardinal tetra or rummy nose.

Just wondering why u need chemical filtration? If there's nothing wrong with your tank, your better off with an extra sponge or something. Just my opinion anyways.

Yes, endlers will work. Otherwise, u can try a school of 6-8 neon tetra, cardinal tetra or rummy nose.

I just had it laying with the rest of my supplies so I added. I may get some more filter floss on my next trip to the lfs. I will add some endlers and more plants to night do a quick remodel on thier home.

I just had it laying with the rest of my supplies so I added. I may get some more filter floss on my next trip to the lfs. I will add some endlers and more plants to night do a quick remodel on thier home.

Sounds good. You can also try a floating plant called frogbit, they ain't invasive like duckweed and they are like a nitrate sponge. They look pretty nice too.

ybequrer.jpg

Is this better. Does it need more plants?

ybequrer.jpg

Is this better. Does it need more plants?

It looks good. Still could do with more plants in my opinion. They should be ok, as long as you provide a hiding spot. I also wouldn't worry about them not eating for the first few days. They take time to acclimate and get comfortable to their new home.

Below is a month old photo of my 40g heavily planted community. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391488871.409636.jpg

It's done without co2, so anyone can achieve a heavily planted tank. :) just have to choose the right plants.

It looks good. Still could do with more plants in my opinion. They should be ok, as long as you provide a hiding spot. I also wouldn't worry about them not eating for the first few days. They take time to acclimate and get comfortable to their new home.

Below is a month old photo of my 40g heavily planted community. View attachment 220619

It's done without co2, so anyone can achieve a heavily planted tank. :) just have to choose the right plants.

i have always had live plants but not until recently have tried to go heavy planting. I robbed that drift wood and anubis from my 55Gal which is now destroyed from trying to net some endlers and move plants around. I am researching all the time on different varieties of plants but alot of what i would like to have is not readily available, i just ordered some java moss. At my local Petco they have a large tank with different floating, stem, and potted plants none of which are labeled. I would love to have a great tank like the a lot of the ones i see on this site but I am not very artistic, or just lack of experience maybe. Your tank looks great. What are those plants in the middle called?

razapy4u.jpg

Btw adding the extra fish was a big help. Like you said now they feel its safe to come out. What a shy species.

i have always had live plants but not until recently have tried to go heavy planting. I robbed that drift wood and anubis from my 55Gal which is now destroyed from trying to net some endlers and move plants around. I am researching all the time on different varieties of plants but alot of what i would like to have is not readily available, i just ordered some java moss. At my local Petco they have a large tank with different floating, stem, and potted plants none of which are labeled. I would love to have a great tank like the a lot of the ones i see on this site but I am not very artistic, or just lack of experience maybe. Your tank looks great. What are those plants in the middle called?

The plants in the middle is ambulia, very easy to grow. I've experimented with a lot of plants, especially foreground plants. So far, I have had no luck with chain swords, they get overrun by algae quickly. Currently, I'm experimenting with lilaeopsis and they are doing well after 3 weeks. I'm a bit puzzled as to why though because lilaeopsis is a more demanding plant.

I'm not very artistic as well, if I can do it so can you.

Back
Top Bottom