Blue Rams Spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Blue Rams have spawned in a tank with hard water. What color should the eggs be? Good eggs or not I have a breeding pair, yay me!!!

Awesome. Congrats!

I think the color of the eggs actually changes over time, but I could be wrong.

I believe that the eggs get more transparent as they get closer to wiggling. (Not sure that is the technical term).

If that's the case then I'm pretty sure they are no good. The parents are being very protective of them. Should I remove the eggs?

Ok thanks! I'm glad there are places like this where you can get the info you need from people who actually know what they are talking about or at least get an educated guess.

Jeta has (does?) bred Rams. He/She knows their stuff...

I have read elsewhere that the first couple spawns don't always go right and not to be surprised.

Well they cleaned the eggs off. At least now I know they are a breeding pair, so I put them in their own aquarium. Has anyone been successful in breeding them in hard water?

Let me know what you get, what you think of it and if you don't mind the cost. That is something I would like to do. I don't see my EBRs breeding in my current water.

I've only done a cheap strip test that went up to 8.5 so I know it's at least that high.

I wouldn't rely on the strip test for anything at all, honestly. A basic liquid pH test kit isn't expensive and it's much more accurate.

When it comes to breeding in general, don't start making changes until you start having issues. Now if you have a mature healthy pair, fed well, frequent water changes, etc, and they aren't spawning, that's the time to start adjusting things. But generally speaking, the less things you change, the better, at least if you want to keep things simple.

How bad is your water? I've bred them in soft 6's to moderately hard upper 7's.

My water is consistently 8.2. The EBRs seem really happy in it, and as far as I know mine are too young anyway, but RO has interested me for a while, and I would like to go marine some day, so it seems natural to start thinking about it now.

I am going to do RO in my big tank. I just don't really know how get the fish that I already have adjusted to it. I have my own theory but when its all said and done I don't know jack.

Back
Top Bottom