Blue Rams - Stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lurker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I REALLY want to add a pair of German Blue Rams to our 30 gallon tank. The problem is I think I might be overstocked if I do. Here's what I have in the tank currently,

1 - Blue Gourami
2 - Sailfin Mollies
3 - Bumble Bee Gobies
3 - Longfin Zebra Danios
2 - Mickey Mouse Platies
2 - African frogs
2 - Glass Tetras
1 - Neon Tetra (Lost the other eight, I believe to the Blue Gourami)
1 - Pleco (Very small right now)

Filtration is a H.O.T. Magnum Compact Hang-On Tank Filter with the Bio Wheel. So what do U think? Can I add the Rams? And if so will they be compatable with the fish I have now?

Thanx for any help!

I don't think rams would be appropriate for this tank myself. It would be a better idea to rearrange some of the inhabitants, such as taking back the neon tetras and getting more glass tetras (provided they aren't painted), or another variety of tetra that isn't going to get eaten. I'm also curious about your bumble bee gobies- how long have you had them? Do you add salt to the water for them and the mollies? You have the makings of a brackish tank if you got rid of the other fish..

Yes, salt is added. Actually I hate to say it but, I hate the glass tetras. The ONLY reason we got them in the first place is because my wife thought they were neat. They just sit one on each end of the aquarium toward the back corner and swim in the same spot (kinda boring). The wife doesn't even seem to care for them any more. The Bumble Bee's are GREAT. Had them for about a month now. They each have their own little territory and chase the others out if they come into it. I feel sorry for my neon but he seems to be doing great by himself.

Heh, I think we all wind up with fish we realise later we wish we didn't have *looks at her florida flagfish*

That tank really isn't a good place for german rams tho. Have you considered starting a new tank? A 15g would be great for 2 german rams with a few friends.

No, a new tank really isn't an option right now.(I'm working on a 125 gal saltwater tank). Maybe I'll get a couple of Kuhlii Loaches instead.

Bummer; sounds like german rams may not be in your near future.

We will be expecting pics of the SW tank tho!

Maybe I'll get a couple of Kuhlii Loaches instead.
I love Kuhli loaches. However, be prepared to never see them!
As for your bb gobies--be careful with them. I lost mine because I didn't fully understand their salt needs and they were out-competed for food. Now, I have a tank dedicated to them (if the LFS ever gets in my order :evil: ) and a couple of BW friends.

Too bad about the rams--they are great. One day, you might cave in and get a new tank for the rams :wink:

How big do BB gobies get? I was at a fish auction last month that my region puts on each yr (only once a yr :cry: ), and there was a goby that i saw in its own little bucket, but it was like 9 inches long and looked as if it could take off my finger! 8O

There are a ton of Gobies (I think it describes a body type, but I have no real clue) with all different needs. BB Gobies stay tiny and need BW.

Back
Top Bottom