Blue Tang Laying on Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astride13

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the lfs this weekend to buy a Blue Tang. They had two, but both were "laying on the sand". The sales guy said that this is normal for Blue Tangs, but I don't believe it. Has anyone ever heard of this or was this guy just trying to get a sale? I ended up just buying a Yellow Tang instead.

If there were no rocks to tightly wedge in to, I could see a blue tang lying flat on the sand. They're shy and like to hide.

The tank did not have any rocks, just a light sand dusting. They seemed to be breathing harder than normal, but maybe they need to when not moving. I guess if they are still alive when I go back then they are healthy.

Anything else I should look for in a Blue Tang besides the obvious?

many times new blue tangs will freak and lay on their sides or in the cornors of a tank because they want to hide. ive seen schools of newly aquired tangs pile on eachother in cornors to hide. The best blue tangs should be eating, swimming freely and without any sign of disease.

jc

Pictures are not the greatest but my hippo sleeps on the rocks all the time, his breathing is a little different than when he is swimming
73103hippo3.jpg

73103hippo2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom