Blue Velvets / Rili ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I have recently acquired Blue Velvets and along with them came some tiny ones which after growing a little, some seem to be Rili, and red so far.

They are still small, less than half inch. Should I get them out of there?

Are they possibly gonna turn to Blue Rili. I have been checking but am a little unclear about the crossing and negative ramifications of them breeding with a Red Rili (I guess or Blue Rili, since the Blue Velvets are all blue now from the breeding process).

Right now there are OEBT and these guys. I saw at least 3 Rili patterns/color.

Advice please...:flowers:

I have recently acquired Blue Velvets and along with them came some tiny ones which after growing a little, some seem to be Rili, and red so far.

They are still small, less than half inch. Should I get them out of there?

Are they possibly gonna turn to Blue Rili. I have been checking but am a little unclear about the crossing and negative ramifications of them breeding with a Red Rili (I guess or Blue Rili, since the Blue Velvets are all blue now from the breeding process).

Right now there are OEBT and these guys. I saw at least 3 Rili patterns/color.

Advice please...:flowers:

OEBTs cannot breed with rillis. Is that what your worried about?

Thank you..., I know the OEBT are Caridina and different than Blue Velvets and Red or Blue Rili Shrimp, all Neocaridina.

I apologize to not being more clear about my problem. It is confusing ME so that is half the problem :lol:

Checking to see if the Rili pattern shrimp(red now, but could turn Blue later?:confused:), also Neos, are going to degrade the Blue Velvets color by breeding when they mature?

It seems the Rili shrimp are parents in heritage for the Blue Velvets. This is where the confusion increases for me.

??????????
Cherry Shrimp (Neos) produced Red Rili
Red Rili produced Blue Rili
Blue Rili produced Blue Velvets

Is that correct, basically?

I don't need to keep any color Rili Shrimp to cross back to Blue Velvets, only Blue Velvets? Is this accurate information?

I didn't intend/plan to have Rilis and when my own Cherry shrimp made Red Rilis I found new homes for them. These came from the local Blue Velvet breeder, maybe as extras :)confused:), that I bought.

Maybe they are in there because the BV strain from the local breeder is not stable yet.

Ive never heard of blue rilli shrimp... you will have interbreeding problems with those mixed. I have always kinda wanted to try it and see what sprung up lol maybe in my 20long..... lol

Ive never heard of blue rilli shrimp... you will have interbreeding problems with those mixed. I have always kinda wanted to try it and see what sprung up lol maybe in my 20long..... lol

Blue Rili Shrimp - (10) - Elite Inverts Store

Really pretty!

Found out these are Red Rili. There is no blue-ishness. Just Red and clear.

I think it sounds fun, but when so much money is on the line, who wants ugly mutt shrimp. There are plenty of breeding combos which don't result in brown wild looking shrimp being produced. I had some Cherry shrimp and I had seen grey, grey blue, blue-ish, green white, yellow, brown and rust color, and clear and Rili. From the offspring. I raised blue/blue-grey Cherry shrimp out of them.

That was really fun just to see all the colors.

Yes, your are right Cherry > Red rili >blue rili > blue velvets.

Also, most blue velvets do not breed true, meaning unlike shrimps like oebt they will not always have babyes that will be oebt. You have to buy from a culling breeder to get a closer to true breeding blue velvets

Blue velvets can and will ocassionally pop out some blue rili and red rilis. They will cross breed if kept together, they will however not revert to wild type. You will just have a mix of them, but you will have more and more rillis and less velvets.

There are some baby blue velvets that looks like rilis in in pewee size. They will grow out of it.

If you want to keep a purer blue velvet line, let the babies grow up. If they are male and does not grow out of the rili stage by sub adult size, remove them. If they are female and does not grow out of the rili stage, remove at first berried.

Back
Top Bottom