Blugill gills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tseros7768

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, happy to report that my bluegill is still living healthily off of shrimp pellets...he loves them now! But one question arose, why are his gills red...it's very noticeable now and I don't know if its a disease or if he is too young that his scales are transparent...any advice? :)

Could it be ammonia poisoning? Most wild caught fish are way more susceptible to bad water parameters than tank bred fish are.

Red Gills

Hi guys, happy to report that my bluegill is still living healthily off of shrimp pellets...he loves them now! But one question arose, why are his gills red...it's very noticeable now and I don't know if its a disease or if he is too young that his scales are transparent...any advice? :)

Hello T...

Test your tank water. Ideally, you should have no traces of ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates are at the end the of the "nitrogen cycle", so even a higher level of this form of nitrogen isn't harmful to your fish.

Traces of ammonia or nitrites will affect the fish's sensitive gill tissue first, so you may need to change out some of the water if this procedure applies to your situation and replace it. Large, frequent water changes will maintain stable water properties and keep your fish and plants healthy, at least for tanks.

B

Thanks! I tested my water and everything seems normal...no large fluctuations in ammonia or nitrite and nitrate levels...maybe it is just normal...regardless I'll be keeping my eye on him! Thanks again. :)

Back
Top Bottom