BN acting funny, no clue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
1~5 inch BN pleco seems to have full stomach, might be bloated or constipated I guess. No visible signs of distress. He just acts kind of lazy a lot. Seems like he will come around for a day or 2 and eat some zucchini then go into his lazy days. Only other real personality change is he is being much nicer to the female and letting her get close to him. No physical signs, no redness in gills, no skin lesions. When I turn the air stone on at night he doesn't change his actions or activity. His activity changed when the temperature got really warm for a while but he hasn't come out of it. Tank never got above 84. Only other change would be putting CO2 into AC HOB and the CO2 levels going up from about 30 to an average of 60. The female is also spending a lot of time around him where she avoided him at time before. I know this could me mating activity but I want to rule out a disease or ailment first. Dorsal fin usually erect and he swims away from my hand readily with good strength.
2~pH 6.6, NH4 - 0, NO3 - 20-30, NO2 - 0, Temperature 78-82, KH - 8, GH - 14
3~ 10 gallon tank set up for 6+ months
4~ AC 20 HOB
5~2 BN, 8 corys medium size not adult yet and 1 betta
6~Graevl vacuum every week with 50%+ water change every Saturday.
7~Have had Bud for over 3 months at least.
8~Only thing new in recent times is Anubias Nana
9~Feed algae wafers, betta bites, crab bites, shrimp pellets, flakes, zucchini, cucumber

Is he sick or is it a change in behavior before a mating session?

Please Help!

That tank is a little small IMO for all those bottom feeders. He could be getting a little cramped in there. I think the minimum tank size for a BN is a 20g tank. Especially a full grown 5 incher like him. Not to mention 2 BNs. You should get a bigger tank.

He could be constipated. You could try some deshelled peas, but I'm not sure how you would get them to the bottom for him. I'd just try to keep an eye on him. Make sure he's still eating.

Getting peas to the bottom is easy, they sink if they are boiled.

The female is only 3.5 inches. The corys, .75 inches. Could be right though, he could easily be cramped but why just showing signs now when I removed 4 corys recently?

Could have something to do with H2S gas I recently discovered. I forgot about that part. There is also one wisker that just doesn't look right. It is longer than all the others and is almost pure white with a tip colored like the others. I got a good look in the gills and they are normal looking. Who knows, he seems like a lazy big boy. Hopefully he will eat in the next day or 2 and I can relax a little.

Try the peas first. I would be doubtful of the gas being the problem as it should affect more than the one fish. It might be nothing at all but constipation but certainly keep a close eye on him.

And if it's a breeding thing, LUCKY YOU, LOL. I have 1 male BN and 3 females, had them 4 months now, and still nothing. Male still kind of aggressive to the females, and does nothing but chase all of them around, lol. Won't let any of them sit near him, lol.

Back
Top Bottom