BN pleco compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know BN plecos are compatable with most fish however I need to know if they are compatable with other plecos. I have a standard BN and I just bought a whiteseam or starlight BN. Will they fight? Obviously I am not going to risk it if they will!
Also my BN keeps nudging my peacock eel out of his hiding spot (he never was seen in it before I added the eel. Go figurd) will they work it out? He seems like he could be trying to stab him with the pectoral spikes.
Thanks and God bless!

I have 3 Plecos in my main tank. 1 albino bristlenose 1 regular bristlenose and a clown Pleco. They all get along just fine. Both my bristlenose Plecos are males too. I would think you be fine. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spots just in case

you should be fine. i have a common bn, 2 albino bn, 1 calico and 1 starlight of all different sizes in my 75. (they will be rehomed to my other tanks once i sex them). The starlight is the only one that is a male for sure, but they all get along fine. once sexually mature, i have read that males will have some problems with each other but i have never actually experienced it.

I have 3 Plecos in my main tank. 1 albino bristlenose 1 regular bristlenose and a clown Pleco. They all get along just fine. Both my bristlenose Plecos are males too. I would think you be fine. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spots just in case

Ok yea I will be adding more hiding spots soon. I just wouldnt want to risk the white seam bn getting hurt!

Some of them are just more intolerant, territorial, and bad-tempered than others. If he is already displaying that kind of aggression I wouldn't chance putting another BN with him.
I had believed that bristlenose were pretty chilled as far as plecos go, and would not seriously challenge each other, because that had been my experience up until recently
Then one of my males began bullying smaller female BN and even the cories in his 3' tank, so I moved him to a larger tank with BN his own size and larger.
Immediately I witnessed a very vicious and relentless fight between him and another male who had nearly a dozen caves to choose from in a tank with a 6'x2' footprint. I doubt it would have ended till the aggressor had seriously injured or killed the other.

Some of them are just more intolerant, territorial, and bad-tempered than others. If he is already displaying that kind of aggression I wouldn't chance putting another BN with him.
I had believed that bristlenose were pretty chilled as far as plecos go, and would not seriously challenge each other, because that had been my experience up until recently
Then one of my males began bullying smaller female BN and even the cories in his 3' tank, so I moved him to a larger tank with BN his own size and larger.
Immediately I witnessed a very vicious and relentless fight between him and another male who had nearly a dozen caves to choose from in a tank with a 6'x2' footprint. I doubt it would have ended till the aggressor had seriously injured or killed the other.

Ok then. Standard bn will find a new home! Lol

I have two bristlenose in a 60 gallon tank and my oldest one will push anyone out of the way to get an algae wafer or into a spot he wants. Otherwise he doesn't bother anyone. I also have a small rubberlip pleco and no issues so far.

One bottlenose is about 2 years, the second has been in with him for a year, and the rubberlip for a couple of months.

I have two bristlenose in a 60 gallon tank and my oldest one will push anyone out of the way to get an algae wafer or into a spot he wants. Otherwise he doesn't bother anyone. I also have a small rubberlip pleco and no issues so far.

I just worry that in a 36 the pushing will get harmful.

Back
Top Bottom