Boesemani Rainbow + Diamond Tetra = Sworn Enemies?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kentaaa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again,

It seems that two of my tank's inhabitants can't seem to get along. To the best of my knowledge, I thought these two were relatively peaceful fish. Hence why I added them to my community aquarium.

The rainbow RELENTLESSLY chases the tetra all over the tank. It doesn't appear that she is causing the tetra any physical harm though. It is always chasing, never nipping. I have never even seen them touch. None of the tetra's fins are frayed or split. No abrasions are apparent on its body either. What I'm concerned about is the mental harm and stress caused by this "cat and mouse" game.

The tank is 46 gallons, planted, and has a lot of rock work and caves. There is also ample swimming room up top. Could it be a territory issue because they both prefer to stay in the middle-top region of the tank? The rainbow does not bother any other of the tank's inhabitants, just the tetra. I was thinking the issue could be...

-There is a territory issue
-Size difference (Rainbow 2.5-3", Tetra ~1.5")
-Incompatibility
or....

I know it's a long shot but I do have a theory. Diamond tetras have "sparkly" scales that glimmer in the light. Could the reflection of the scales in the light (I have two VERY strong lights for my plants) be attracting the rainbow? I have heard of fish being attracted to glimmering lights, but have never experienced it for myself. I also have 5 Marble Hatchets and 3 Neons in the tank which are MUCH smaller than the tetra, so that is why I doubt it's a size issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! I love both my rainbow and my tetra and would hate to get rid of either of them, but I do not want them to be stressed either.

Thank you SO much!

How many tetras and how many rainbow's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Boeseman's rainbow should always be kept at least a pair per tank, especially in a community tank. It's likely gotten aggressive because it's the only fish of it's type in the tank. Also, tetras should always be kept in a school of at least 5 fish. That may also lessen the rainbow's aggression. IMO, increase both types of tetras in your tank to 8-12 fish each. Add one more rainbow of opposite sex to the one you have. Your tank is large enough to support them, and you'll like how the larger schools look in a planted tank, I guarantee it.

Back
Top Bottom