Boiling driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm boiling well it isn't really bubbling too hard one of he pieces are large and I had to get the biggest pot I could find and it takes awhile
I've had them here for about 8 hours I changed he water after about 3 hours and it turned dark again
Anything else I can do?
Just keep boiling?

yeah, and scrub

depends on wood, and your luck mostly...lol

i'd say stop boiling, and maybe scrub a lot while rinsing and then boil again?

Cleaning Driftwood

I'm boiling well it isn't really bubbling too hard one of he pieces are large and I had to get the biggest pot I could find and it takes awhile
I've had them here for about 8 hours I changed he water after about 3 hours and it turned dark again
Anything else I can do?
Just keep boiling?

Hello Fish...

You're going to a lot of work. This time of year, you don't need to boil the wood. All that needs to be done is to use the pressure nozzle on your garden hose and give the piece a good rinsing. Then allow the piece to sit out in the sun for a few hours. The exposure to the sun will kill any bacteria that may be living in the wood.

If you're still afraid of bacteria, then get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with some of your water change water and add a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt to the water. Soak the piece in it for a day or two and then rinse with the hose again.

B

TheFishBoss97 said:
yeah, and scrub

depends on wood, and your luck mostly...lol

i'd say stop boiling, and maybe scrub a lot while rinsing and then boil again?

It's mopani which I heard holds a lot of tannins 
I'll stop boiling today put it in a bucket and see how much it's holding

BBradbury said:
Hello Fish...

You're going to a lot of work. This time of year, you don't need to boil the wood. All that needs to be done is to use the pressure nozzle on your garden hose and give the piece a good rinsing. Then allow the piece to sit out in the sun for a few hours. The exposure to the sun will kill any bacteria that may be living in the wood.

If you're still afraid of bacteria, then get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with some of your water change water and add a tablespoon of standard aquarium salt to the water. Soak the piece in it for a day or two and then rinse with the hose again.

B

I'm not worried about the bacteria I'm trying to get rid of the tannins will leaving it out in tje sun get rid of the tannins?

Using Driftwood

Hello again Fish...

Mopani wood doesn't leach tannins. I've used a lot of it just for that reason. If the commercial driftwood is leaching tannins, then it's not Mopani. Unless you keep light sensitive plants, then the tannins won't hurt the tank at all. A couple of water large water changes will remove them.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again Fish...

Mopani wood doesn't leach tannins. I've used a lot of it just for that reason. If the commercial driftwood is leaching tannins, then it's not Mopani. Unless you keep light sensitive plants, then the tannins won't hurt the tank at all. A couple of water large water changes will remove them.

B

The labels said mopani wood and googling it you can find various articles of mopani leaching tannins

Hello again Fish...

B

Mopani = no tannins???? Not in my experience... back when i was just getting into aquariums i bought a couple pieces of that stuff from a pet store and it made my tank look like tea. If your mopani hasen't ever leeched tannins than you got lucky.

It can take years for the mopani to stop leeching tannins (says the people from my local fish store who specialize in driftwoods and rocks in aquariums)

I took it out an never used it again. I had aquariums for over 12 years now, and would never put that wood in my tanks. Unless you are going for the black water look/setup. Luckily for me there is a great local fish store that sells driftwood that has been underwater for decades that doesn't leech any tannins.

Apparently purigen works decently for tannins, but depending on how much you paid, i would just cut your losses and go with an aged drift wood piece that doesn't discolor your water. Tannins wont hurt your fish (lots of tetras actually like it/its affect on water), but it looks really bad IMO.

The whole boiling thing is really up for debate. I remember boiling those pieces of mopani for hours and hours, going through countless pots of water trying to get the tannins out and it seemed to leak even more with every pot.

DGabbs said:
The whole boiling thing is really up for debate. I remember boiling those pieces of mopani for hours and hours, going through countless pots of water trying to get the tannins out and it seemed to leak even more with every pot.

Yeah I'm kinda starting to figure out everything you said it's not really a lost it was wood I've used for reptile and hermit crab tanks just wanted to see what I could do with them
My lfs sells wood already underwater with no tannins but the pieces aren't too large or gnarly looking like I'd want them

Back
Top Bottom