Bolivian ram breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I have 2 Bolivian rams for about 3-4 months now and I believe this is the femaleImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411690054.849283.jpg

And this is the male ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411690099.729999.jpg

Now I'm not sure really what to expect any help will be greatly appreciated

Rams

I have several breeding pairs of Rams all my females have blue irradesent dots on or around the black center spot. It's hard to see the coloring on the pictures so I can't tell wether the fish you calling a female is or just a immature male. I would be interested to see what someone else says or a much betterpicture
Steve

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411727379.265225.jpg I'm trying to get better pics but the female (which I believe) has 2 black markings on it's side while

The male ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411727495.085496.jpg has a very long red string on it's tail with one solid marking ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411727551.523155.jpg u can also see by the end of his dorsal and anal fin he bright orange with white spots

Forgot to mention but (the female) is always chasing and beating up on the male when ever he comes to her territory. Is this normal. They interlock jaws and he looks like he let's the female bite his tail

I have several breeding pairs of Rams all my females have blue irradesent dots on or around the black center spot. It's hard to see the coloring on the pictures so I can't tell wether the fish you calling a female is or just a immature male. I would be interested to see what someone else says or a much betterpicture
Steve
These are bolivian rams not blue rams.

the one with pink bellie is the male

pink bellies are on female blue rams, bolivians don't show this feature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Judging by the elongate finnage the second one is male, but it's still tough to tell on the other

Judging by the elongate finnage the second one is male, but it's still tough to tell on the other

I got them at the same age so wouldn't you tell if one is if you could tell the others?

I just noticed a small detail in the 3rd pic, I can see the ovipositor so it is female.

Ok wonderful. Now the female is always chasing on the male when he come near him and they interlock jaws sometime. Also he would just let her but his tail without him moving

That's standard m/f interaction. They may spawn, may not..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hope this works

Here is a bad pic of a female ram notice the irradesent blue around the black spot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Those are German blue rams Mikrogeophagus ramirezi. The OP's fish are Mikrogeophagus altispinosa, 2 totally different fish.

Yes I have BOLIVIAN rams. Haha but thx as I really do want GBR's in the future. As for the Bolivians is it common for females to be more dominant

Being cichlids it can go both ways especially if they are the same size. It could be that he isn't quite mature, my female Apistogramma bitaeniata was half the male's size and pushed him around until he was fully mature.

Being cichlids it can go both ways especially if they are the same size. It could be that he isn't quite mature, my female Apistogramma bitaeniata was half the male's size and pushed him around until he was fully mature.

Ok thank you a lot. I believe that's what's happening with mine too. Do u suggest me just letting them duke it out once they hit sexual maturity? Or separating them?

Back
Top Bottom