Bolivian ram help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had 2 Bolivian rams for a few weeks now and the first 2 weeks they were both happily swimming all over. Now just one is and the other one just hangs in the back left corner and isn't eating. I don't know the sexes of them, holding maybe?

Here's the one I'm worried about, sorry about blurry pics...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399602389.945898.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399602397.556221.jpg

And for reference, here's the active one
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399602427.291997.jpg

I cant really sex from your photos. But what are your tank parameters?

Size-
Ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Other tank mates
How long your lights are on for?

Provide a pic of your whole tank so can see how it is on hiding places.

Bolivians are generally peaceful to other fish but can be aggressive to one another. My smallest one likes to hide behind driftwood and charge others as they pass. No damage but i have enough driftwood for my other rams to lose the aggressor or turn around and charge back.

If you lack hiding spaces could be stressing the one out.

I cant really sex from your photos. But what are your tank parameters?

Size-
Ph
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Other tank mates
How long your lights are on for?

Provide a pic of your whole tank so can see how it is on hiding places.

Bolivians are generally peaceful to other fish but can be aggressive to one another. My smallest one likes to hide behind driftwood and charge others as they pass. No damage but i have enough driftwood for my other rams to lose the aggressor or turn around and charge back.

If you lack hiding spaces could be stressing the one out.

It's a 90 gallon
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
Less than 10 trates
About 7 ph

Lives with 2 pictus
Schools of cories, aust rainbowfish, harlequin Rasboras, 1 angelfish and a BN pleco.

Tanks 3 years old, lights on about 6 hours a day, a few more hours on my days off :)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399612849.298507.jpg

I know both the rams are young yet but both have the female characteristics. I don't know if rams are mouth brooder a or not, but I had this tank as mbuna setup until last summer when I went to tropical instead. And this non active one reminds me of the female labs and reds that would breed all the time... Especially in the weight loss of the body. They've got plenty of hiding, less in the last few days since I switched to sand but the fish was acting like this before that so I'm at a loss :(

Try feeding the one thats not eating some live food, mine also love frozen brine shrimp.

Try also leaving the lights off for a day.

They are substrate or surface spawners.

I'd love to feed some live food but no LFS nearby so it would be a few weeks at least. I will try that tho next time I go. (She's?) out and about today but didn't tell if she ate. She just looks gaunt in the belly. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399643142.328784.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399643153.596800.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399643173.701353.jpg
(In the last 2 pics, she's the one on top/behind the driftwood...)

Rams are not mouth brooders.

If you can't get live foods right now, maybe try some frozen (if you have any).

Back
Top Bottom