bolivian ram vs german blue ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
almost forgot. they are 3+ inches. i have 2. both males.

Cilantro said:
I'm planning on getting some bolivian rams myself because they are less sensitive from what I've heard.

Why does everyone think that GBRs are more sensitive than Bolivians? I have kept GBRs for a year that have survived ammonia spikes, accidental mini-cycles (before I knew your not supposed to clean filters in tap water), even massive tank wipeouts. Why do they get a bad rap for being sensitive?

i really don't think blue rams are more sensitive it's just that they have certain requirements that have to be met. what i do think is that people get rams and then think the rams need to adjust to the water conditions that the owner has instead of the owner doing what's necessary to give the rams what they need. alot of people say that rams can adapt to higher ph's and maybe they can but imo they won't thrive like they do when they are in the ph range that they need. blue rams do best in a ph between 6-6.5. . i have to go to the store and buy ro water there 3x's a week but i knew that before i got the rams and i made up my mind that if i got the fish i would do everything i could to give them the water parameters they would thrive in. that being said i think you should get the ram that you can keep successfully.

How much is his machine and what ddoes it do? Cost?

What Ph level should I have with these fish in a 46 gallon?
8 Cardinal tetras
1 Pearl gourami
7 Cherry barbs
8 Cories
2 cockatoo cichlids
2 german blue rams
5 rummy nose tetras

i swim said:
Is it better to get two males or a piar of gbrs?

GBrs aren't aggressive.
You might witness a bit of aggression if the male is guarding the eggs but Thats normal for all fish.
I'm getting a pair myself. They are community fish.

How much is his machine and what ddoes it do? Cost?

What Ph level should I have with these fish in a 46 gallon?
8 Cardinal tetras
1 Pearl gourami
7 Cherry barbs
8 Cories
2 cockatoo cichlids
2 german blue rams
5 rummy nose tetras

Anywhere around 6-7 is fine, my pH is 6.8.

Is it better to get two males or a piar of gbrs?

A pair or a trio of two females and one male. My male GBRs are aggressive and constantly fight over territory and my female. Get the nicest ones you can find, they aren't aggressive to other fish but are to each other.

Anywhere around 6-7 is fine, my pH is 6.8.

A pair or a trio of two females and one male. My male GBRs are aggressive and constantly fight over territory and my female. Get the nicest ones you can find, they aren't aggressive to other fish but are to each other.

could my tank hold a trio?

Blue rams pair up. IMO you won't need a ratio because it may incite aggression between the two males.

My comparison would be that they are both non aggressive (mating time will increase the aggression level obv) and they are pretty active.
Bottom dwellers and don't grow to be giant.

My comparison would be that they are both non aggressive (mating time will increase the aggression level obv) and they are pretty active.
Bottom darkness and don't grow to be giant.

are kribs also bottom dwellers?

would i be better off with 3 GBR's or 2 GBRs and one krib?

are kribs also bottom dwellers?

would i be better off with 3 GBR's or 2 GBRs and one krib?

Yes.

The fish all depend on you. Many people have success keeping kribs and GBRs, I've never heard of someone putting them in the same tank though...it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work you can always return the fish :)

Yes.

The fish all depend on you. Many people have success keeping kribs and GBRs, I've never heard of someone putting them in the same tank though...it's worth a shot, if it doesn't work you can always return the fish :)

are kribs just like rams? more or less active?

They seem more similar than different. Only difference is they come from two different parts of the world and I am not familiar with kribs' water requirements...

I edited "darkness" to "dwellers" my bad.
They Are bottom dwellers.
In my opinion to lessen tension I don't think you need 2 males and a female for GBRs, they pair off and would leave the other alone and likely more agressive.
I have less knowledge with kribs, but if your capable you could do 2 of each.

Back
Top Bottom