Bolivian Rams and German Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a quick question. I have a 55 gallon tank heavy planted. I have a pair of Bolivian Rams. I was wondering if I could house a pair of German Rams in the same tank. Is it not enough room to have two pairs? I know they need a good bit of space. But I do have a lot of rocks, and plants for some privacy.

I was at a LFS 2 weeks ago and saw them keeping Bolivians and blue rams together, so with 55 Gallons between the two pairs looks like they'll be fine.

Lfs are poor places to pick up stocking techniques, as they are NOT designed to be long term setups.

You would probably be alright. Just make sure you keep an eye on them and have a backup plan.

Yeah, I agree that looking at a store's tanks is not a idea for deciding how to stock yours.

Both pairs should be fine in there. Every once is awhile you run into a slightly aggressive ram, but in general they are not too bad. 2 pairs in a 55g is not pushing the limits at all IMO. So, it should be fine (assuming you have good filtration and compatable tankmates). :)

IMO it should be fine. As long as its just the cories and rams sharing the bottom (assuming from a few of your posts), I wouldn't worry bout aggression.

Thanks guys! I was hoping I had the room for two pairs. I haven't gotten corys yet but plan on that too :) u think I should add the corys first before the German rams??

Tifta said:
Thanks guys! I was hoping I had the room for two pairs. I haven't gotten corys yet but plan on that too :) u think I should add the corys first before the German rams??

I have rams and cories they are fine

I would add the corys first since they are not territorial.
So, you may have discussed this on another thread, but I am just going to say that if you do end up with 2 ram pairs, keep an eye on the corys. They tend to not understand the boundaries a ram pair enforces. Usually, the rams just chase them away, but sometimes the rams will nip at them and the chances of that happening go up when you add another ram pair. Just so you know. :)

So, I don't know how many corys you wanted, but I suggest starting out with just a few and then adding more later depending on how the rams act. So, I suggest starting with about 4-6 corys (depending on size), then adding the rams, and seeing if you think more corys would be ok in there too. :)

absolutangel04 said:
So, I don't know how many corys you wanted, but I suggest starting out with just a few and then adding more later depending on how the rams act. So, I suggest starting with about 4-6 corys (depending on size), then adding the rams, and seeing if you think more corys would be ok in there too. :)

Thanks a lot! I'll probably start with 4 corys.

if you still use this forum, how did the 2 pairs do? i'm thinking of getting a second pair myself :)

Back
Top Bottom