Bolivian Rams vs. GBR's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bud29

Aquarium Advice Addict
HI all! In my 30 gallon I was thinking about getting 2 bolivian rams. I really like the coloration of the German Blue Rams much better, but I have heard the Bolivians are much more hardy and don't need their water quite as soft. But, I just read that captive bred German Blues can be pretty hardy. Is this true?

Blovians are much much hardier then the golds or the blues. Imo if its either color variant your rolling the dice much like the electric blue jacks

I had couple of GBR's in my 25g panted community tank. Unfortunatelly they became very aggressive toward dwarf gourami and corydoras. Problem was that they started breeding almost instantly and were very protective of the eggs. Otherwise they were happy and healthy, even with poor tap water quality in northern NJ. I gave them away, now they live happily in 120g and couse no trouble.
I think 25g was too small for them. While they bullied DG and corrys they stayed completely away from smaller fish like cardinal tetras.
IMO 30g might be too smal for them as well, especially if they start to breed. I have no experience with bolivian rams but I heard that they are more peacfull than GBRs.
Good luck.

I used to have two of each but one of each died :(. The GBRs are definately more colorful but the bolivians apear to be way more peacful. The remaining GBR actually chased a JD we had temporarilly held in the same tank, the JD would chase it off but then the GBR would come back to try and assert dominance. It doesnt bother any fish or cause any harm ( its a small little guy) but it looks like it flares at everything. The bolivians colors are pretty neat too and it is also super peaceful. From what i have read, bolivians are hardier than GBR but GBR are hardier than the golden and elecric blue variants.

I have 2 GBRs and I love them :) the male is being super territorial and aggressive right now. But it's about the time for them to spawn so that's why. Otherwise he leaves the other fish alone. Except he chases the female constantly which is kinda annoying. But other than that I have no complaints

GBR! They are for me, surprisingly hardy . I have a pair and I haven't had any problems with aggressiveness when it comes to breeding.

GBR! They are for me, surprisingly hardy . I have a pair and I haven't had any problems with aggressiveness when it comes to breeding.

haha, samzter, you seem to have great luck with everything! Dwarf Gouramis, GBRs, next you will probably have 20 malawi cichlids peacefully coexist with 7 male bettas:lol:

bud29 said:
haha, samzter, you seem to have great luck with everything! Dwarf Gouramis, GBRs, next you will probably have 20 malawi cichlids peacefully coexist with 7 male bettas:lol:

Haaa! That would be so cool! ;)

Back
Top Bottom