bolivian rams with cocatuoids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brendan99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I have Bolivian rams in a tank that already has a male and female double red cacatuoides in it??? I like them both and would love to have them in my 29 gal

I wouldn't. A 29 gallon just doesn't afford them ample space to claim territories, so you'll probably see a lot of stress and aggression.

If that's the case how can u have bristlenose pleco and blue rams in the same tank a 39 gal????I read in another tread that's what a person I'd putting in a tank

Brendan99 said:
If that's the case how can u have bristlenose pleco and blue rams in the same tank a 39 gal????I read in another tread that's what a person I'd putting in a tank

The difference is that both your apistos and the rams are cichlids. Cichlids tend to be very aggressive and territorial, especially when breeding. A bristlenose pleco will mostly keep to itself.

I would suggest adding a shoal of tetras or hatchets instead.

Here's a profile. Take a look, they are pretty interesting looking fish and can add a little variety to any SA tank.

I wouldn't say that rams and apistos are especially aggressive, even when breeding, when compared to most other cichlids. However, their instincts dictate that they must claim a territory for themselves and defend that territory. If their needs cannot be met because the tank space does not afford them ample room to claim territory outside the territory of other cichlids, stress and aggression will result. I've kept many Bolivian and blue rams, and 15 or so species of apistos and I'm basing this on several years of personal observation.

All sorts of tanks ranging from 20-55 gallons. Footprint of the tank matters and you essentially have the footprint of a 20 high. Not enough space for 2 pairs of cichlids.

i am going with what severum mama said, with these two speices of cichlids. This is also becuse at one point i had tried it and had it fail with the rams dying becuse the cockatoidies where just a little more prepared for the fight.
But saying this i am now houseing 6 babie cockatoidies in what is now a German Blue Ram aquarium with no fights yet. (But they are babies growing up with the German Blue Rams)
Well i am not shure about the african glass catfish but when i tried them they died after about a month, i would do some studying on them before you go out and buy them.

Back
Top Bottom