Bolivian rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phatpaul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I brought 2 bolivian rams the other day and i asked for 1 male and 1 female. Im not trying to breed them or anything but i thought it would keep the terratorial aggression down abit by getting opposit sexes. Any way im thinking now that they gave me 2 males but im no expert when it comes to these. Any advice would be helpful on them

Attachments

• image-3858615018.jpg
    image-3858615018.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1151482563.jpg
    image-1151482563.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2492857055.jpg
    image-2492857055.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 122
Just to clarify, I believe that you have got yourself two German blue rams. I have a Bolivian in my 20g and the Bolivians are much less colorful than that. I have actually been extremely interested in getting a German blue like yours but I heard they are a little bit more fragile to take care of in terms of water conditions.

In terms of the sex, I have read online that there is a little "nub" like object on their bellies. I do not remember the specifics but I know on one sex, its rounder than the other. Look into it. I found it online somewhere. I think I just googled sexes of a Bolivian ram.

Lol i would like to believe they are german rams as thats what i wanted but it one of my lfs there like £45 a pair. I brought these on the way back from that shop, my mrs wanted to stop at the dreded "petsmart" to get sawdust and i noticed these in there. They were put under the description of "bolivian ram" and they were £4 each, so i just couldnt resist them.

They are beautiful fish, I was originally going to buy a German Blue but I chose to get a Bolivian instead. Now I am regretting it and have much interest in purchasing one of these little blue, yellow, and pink beauties.

Here is what my Bolivian looks like which is why it leads me to believe that yours is a German Blue but I have seen pictures of Bolivians that are also very colorful.

Attachments

• Bolivian_Ram.jpg
    Bolivian_Ram.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 126
those very well could be german blue rams - but I am almost thinking you got two girls there - can't see the one in the back as well...
look for pink tummies (girl) and what about the front bottom fins - are they the same? have black or not have black?

Moved to Cichlid Discussion.

I am 100% positive those are blue rams and NOT Bolivian rams. I think you have 2 females there.

I agree with heather and mumma, definitely GBRs not Bolivian you can tell from their colours and also the shape. As for the gender the bottom one is obviously a female with the nice bright pink belly. If you have taken an individual picture of both fish then they are both female. They are very nice fish

Lol thanks everyone for the info. Got to love petsmart i though i was getting 1 male and 1 female bolivian ram instead i get 2 female german blue rams. Well i not arguing : )
As they are 2 females, do you lot think it would be worth getting a male and see if a little magic happens or would adding a male upset the balance in the tank. My current stock is 15 neons, 10 ember tetras 4 sterbi corys 4 pygmi corys 2 bristlenose plecs and the 2 rams. Along with 30+ cherry shrimp 15+ tiger shrimp and 10+ assasin snails. At the mo the tank is all peaceful. Iv had no problems with the rams and the shrimps.

Picture 2 and 3 are of the 2 individuals. I will try and get a clearer picture tomorrow.

By getting a male the less dominant female would be outcast when spawning

Would the pair establish an area where they would lay eggs and guard it, so being aggressive to the other tanks mates?

You definitely have 2 very nice GBRs the last one is female. I can't really see the other one. Look for pink tummies and flicks of blue in the black spot on their sides.

Chenay83 said:
FYI, be careful about have a mating pair in your tank. They can be very mean little snots.

Lol i thought that might be the case. Im happy with the tank as it is so i dont think i will get a male, as said ill get better pics tomorrow and ill look forward to all your coments, thanks everyone, youve all been very helpful

Do they both have pink bellies? If so they are female this is the only fool proof way of telling that I'm aware of as other signs can be mixed. If your not interesting in breeding then keep the two females of they get along.

Back
Top Bottom